Calling Boat Experts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Back to the OP, I've no idea what it is, but the large cabin with big windows and the 'prominade deck' around the wheelhouse suggests it might be a dolphin spotting or day fishing boat. Definitely for sightseers rather than a working boat.

Where is it?

Yo dawg, I heard you like boats so I put some boats in your boat so you can sail while you sail.
Theres a couple of the things around.Used for shipping your yacht about following the seasons, winter in the Carribean, then the Med in time for Monaco GP type thing. They can take the yacht crews at the same time for maintenance, sort of a travelling drydock.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Back to the OP, I've no idea what it is, but the large cabin with big windows and the 'prominade deck' around the wheelhouse suggests it might be a dolphin spotting or day fishing boat. Definitely for sightseers rather than a working boat.

Where is it?
That high bow looks awfully like a tug. My best guess is a North American tug converted for private use. It's not got a rear deck big enough to contain enough punters for day trips, I think.

Edit: Actually, she looks too long in the water to have been a tug. All that curvy topside stuff looks US though.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Theres a couple of the things around.Used for shipping your yacht about following the seasons, winter in the Carribean, then the Med in time for Monaco GP type thing. They can take the yacht crews at the same time for maintenance, sort of a travelling drydock.

It's hard to get an idea of scale from your pic, but they must be absolutely gigantic machines. You'd be gutted if you only had one of the wee boats on there too when everyone came to pick up their vessels.

TVC

That high bow looks awfully like a tug. My best guess is a North American tug converted for private use. It's not got a rear deck big enough to contain enough punters for day trips, I think.

Edit: Actually, she looks too long in the water to have been a tug. All that curvy topside stuff looks US though.
It's the big windows and promenade that make me think it's for punters.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
WTF is that first monstrosity. Looks like you could capsize it with a gentle push!
State of the art sailing vessel - I think the sails must live inside the mast and be automatically furled out when necessary.
It's an interesting concept:
index-image.jpg

Think of the energy savings if that could be applied to cargo ships rather than just toys for the filthy rich...

AndyRM

XOXO
State of the art sailing vessel - I think the sails must live inside the mast and be automatically furled out when necessary.
It's an interesting concept:
index-image.jpg

Think of the energy savings if that could be applied to cargo ships rather than just toys for the filthy rich...

Looks a lot more stable in sail mode! I don't know anything about boats, but would that not be really difficult to implement on a cargo ship? I'm thinking about the container style ones specifically; would the masts not have to be stupidly high to propel the thing?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Looks a lot more stable in sail mode! I don't know anything about boats, but would that not be really difficult to implement on a cargo ship? I'm thinking about the container style ones specifically; would the masts not have to be stupidly high to propel the thing?
Possibly - it might depend on what speed you are willing to settle for. But a container ship would be much longer than the Maltese Falcon so they could have more, shorter masts.
I'm sure I've seen modern sail concepts proposed for cargo ships - but in an industry where profit is the bottom line, taking a risk on innovative propulsion methods is not very likely to happen.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
This is a photo I took of the Sultan of Oman's Private Yacht. Its' the 4th biggest in the world at 155m!
The boat behind which is big enough to be a cross channel ferry is the service boat.
P1000743.JPG

AndyRM

XOXO
Possibly - it might depend on what speed you are willing to settle for. But a container ship would be much longer than the Maltese Falcon so they could have more, shorter masts.
I'm sure I've seen modern sail concepts proposed for cargo ships - but in an industry where profit is the bottom line, taking a risk on innovative propulsion methods is not very likely to happen.

I had a bit of a Google and found this which looks pretty interesting. The comments don't seem particularly enthusiastic about the idea, as they are all no doubt experts on propulsion and nautical matters it can't possibly work.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
[QUOTE 3350811, member: 9609"]Accepting that the original tall ships are a thing of pure beauty - what is it with modern wind power and butt ugliness?

anyway it seems to be missing a Jib.[/QUOTE]
Seeing it in the 'flesh' - the thick masts (to hold the furled sails) just looked wrong.
Form fits function and all that, but as you say it just doesn't look right.

Top Bottom