Calling Boat Experts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My first thoughts where it was a Navy Pinnace that had been converted .
My friend has been doing one up for a few years and people tend to turn them into whatever they want .
My friend is Scottish btw and my girlfriend at the time wasn't impressed when he asked if we wanted to look at his pinnace :biggrin:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Possibly - it might depend on what speed you are willing to settle for. But a container ship would be much longer than the Maltese Falcon so they could have more, shorter masts.
I'm sure I've seen modern sail concepts proposed for cargo ships - but in an industry where profit is the bottom line, taking a risk on innovative propulsion methods is not very likely to happen.
Makes sense on the trade routes to use as much sail as possible all connected up with PV sails, + use the unpowered propellers under wind powered sail, as turbine generators to store electricity in massive batteries as ballast to power the motors up to stop and manoeuvre...

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
Looking at it, it looks like a modern build based on an American design of the 1940's
The bulbous bow is a modern touch, they were not invented until the 1980's
That deck house looks like its made of aluminium, which was not used on ships before the 1990's
So it could be an old hull that has had a lot of work done, but normally on old hull you can see the VPL of the strakes, so I'm guessing its modern

I didn't know boats wore knickers? :biggrin:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Makes sense on the trade routes to use as much sail as possible all connected up with PV sails, + use the unpowered propellers under wind powered sail, as turbine generators to store electricity in massive batteries as ballast to power the motors up to stop and manoeuvre...
I remember seeing an article about tankers being fitted with huge kites, that pull the boat through the water. I dont think it was a 100% replacement for the engine, but acted as an extra aid to reduce fuel consumption.

Brains

Legendary Member
T
I remember seeing an article about tankers being fitted with huge kites, that pull the boat through the water. I dont think it was a 100% replacement for the engine, but acted as an extra aid to reduce fuel consumption.
They are called Skysails, the idea has been around since the 1980's, the Germans rigged up a couple of test ships, but the idea has never caught on

Theres been a few different ideas tried for wind assisted propulsion on commercial vessels, none seem to have particularly successful and caught on. Things like bulk carriers and tankers are probably more suitable than container ships as they use every bit of space both horizontally and vertically to get as much cargo onboard as possible. It's all down to money, as always. How much will the wind system cost to develop, maintain and run against the potential fuel savings. Fuel costs are a massive part of running any vessel, the modest offshore supply vessel I'm on now uses 8-10,000 litres per day with engines running.

subaqua

What’s the point
When I win the euro millions and buy a big boat that I can use as a dive platform I am going to call it " gin palace" just to give all the other boat owners a giggle when I call the coastguard to let them know we are leaving harbour

TVC

When I win the euro millions and buy a big boat that I can use as a dive platform I am going to call it " gin palace" just to give all the other boat owners a giggle when I call the coastguard to let them know we are leaving harbour
Just to let you know, I have all my own dive gear, so wouldn't have to borrow anything :thumbsup:

Top Bottom