Calling Boat Experts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
If you can't afford to buy the boat, you can just stand in a cold shower tearing up £20 notes - it'll be much the same experience

Brains

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3349689, member: 9609"]I seen this boat the the other day and really liked the look of it, does anyone have a name / type / class for it ?
I din't know why I think the following but that rounded wheelhouse made me think it was american or art decco ?
I would quite like something like that to chug up and down the coast in.

boat_6873_zps256d3e04.jpg~original

[/QUOTE]

Looking at it, it looks like a modern build based on an American design of the 1940's
The bulbous bow is a modern touch, they were not invented until the 1980's
That deck house looks like its made of aluminium, which was not used on ships before the 1990's
So it could be an old hull that has had a lot of work done, but normally on old hull you can see the VPL of the strakes, so I'm guessing its modern

subaqua

What’s the point
The 2 best days of a mans life.

The day he buys his boat

And the day he sells it.

Club has just shelled out 700 quid on getting a Yamaha outboard running properly as the internal filters ( not mentioned in the ops manual) were a bit clogged. 40 knots on the plane though makes it worth while

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If you want expensive toys... I've just been to Malta for a week. There were some serious 'superyachts' in the harbour.

You can rent the Maltese Falcon for £385 000 per week:
IMG_9519 small.jpg

Or something like one of these:
IMG_9516 small.jpg

And apparently there are also 'superyacht service boats' that you can hire to bring you toys like helicopters, speedboats etc:
IMG_9554 small.jpg

But if I had to buy a boat (and had the money) I'd get one of these - this is the beginning of the Middle Sea Race.
IMG_9776 small.jpg

Or something like this - this is the old steam yacht Amazon off Gozo:
IMG_9882 small.jpg

AndyRM

XOXO
If you want expensive toys... I've just been to Malta for a week. There were some serious 'superyachts' in the harbour.

You can rent the Maltese Falcon for £385 000 per week:
View attachment 60122

Or something like one of these: View attachment 60123
And apparently there are also 'superyacht service boats' that you can hire to bring you toys like helicopters, speedboats etc:
View attachment 60124

But if I had to buy a boat (and had the money) I'd get one of these - this is the beginning of the Middle Sea Race.
View attachment 60125

Or something like this - this is the old steam yacht Amazon off Gozo:
View attachment 60126

WTF is that first monstrosity. Looks like you could capsize it with a gentle push!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 3350458, member: 9609"]I would so much love to go and park up in the middle of that lot in a Clyde Puffer (here's a link for the uncultured)[/QUOTE]
When you saw the habour fees you might change your mind.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Abramovich's motor yacht ( or maybe it was the cast-off he gave as a present to a pal) was moored outside Yarmouth , Isle of Wight a few years ago. Sailing by, I couldn't help but notice that there, amongst the helicopter pad and all the rest, was a 60 foot sailing yacht on deck with a crane to lower it into the water if the great man showed up and the whim took him. The locals in Yarmouth said it was moored there for weeks, but was never used.

Top Bottom