Calling Garmin Users!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
I am planning to spend some Christmas money :biggrin: on a Garmin. What I really want is a heart rate monitor. But I really want to be able to log my HR data easily, and a 500 or 800 offer this in conjunction with other inputs that allow easy ride data analysis, so that I can more effectively use this information in the completion of my training plans. Compatibility with power meters is a plus.

What I am struggling to decide is 500 vs 800????

Does the map utility justify extra cost and size of unit? Size does matter, as I want to log race data too, and wonder whether I will find the bulk/weight of the 800 an annoyance.

Any thoughts?

Oh and if anyone has been shopping around for these two units, any bargain pointers gratefully welcomed!

zizou

Veteran
Halfords have a special offer on at the moment on the 200, 500 and 800 and it seems like a good deal.

I have the 800 and it is a great bit of kit, the mapping is really useful. However if you only ride on familar roads then obviously mapping is less important and a feature that wont be used. In terms of size it is not that much bigger than the 500.

Chrisz

Über Member
If you want to log lots of data then go for the 500 - packed with features, compact and simple in operation. If you do lots of rides where you don't know the route/what way you want to go then get the 800 - great on-board satnav.

I "want" the 800 but since I almost never ride places I don't know (most of my routes are old loops with extras thrown in/taken out as required or singnposted sportives) I see no real need for an 800. Personally I would also be concerned about the bulk of the 800 - it wouldn't fit on my Ram Centrepoint and would lookawkward on the stem (IMHO).

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Yup. I race a lot of cyclocross, and really don't want the annoyance of a clumpy box on my handlebars. Maps would only ever be a ''nice to have''.

Plus I can then spend the 150 squids I save on something else :smile:

@Zizou - good catch with Halfords. they got the 500 with belt and sensor for 170.99, that's mearly £50 less than CCR. I would never have thought to look on Halfords website, so ta very much for that.

zizou

Veteran
@Zizou - good catch with Halfords. they got the 500 with belt and sensor for 170.99, that's mearly £50 less than CCR. I would never have thought to look on Halfords website, so ta very much for that.

Its even better than that - when you stick it in the basket you'll get another £15 off :biggrin:

amaferanga

Veteran
If you're planning on racing with it then definitely the 500.

I'd also recommend you get one of these mounts: http://www.dotbike.com/p/8041

Garmin's look crap mounted on the bars and stem mounting puts them too close to you for a quick glance. With this mount it'll be in just the right place.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What is the difference between a 200 and a 205?

I basically want to be able to save the routes that the club run uses regularly and also download route markers that some sportive organizers

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
200 is a basic bike computer, only with GPS instead of on-bike sensors. No cadence, no HRM, no mapping, no basic navigation like the 500 and (I think) the 205.

Don't rule out the 705. Still an excellent bit of kit, not out-of-date just because the 800 is out. Agreed the 500 is probably the best bet though.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
200 does have basic navigation. ie follow a pre loaded bread crumb trial.
The only difference between the 2 machines I can see is that the 200 is smaller & probs has updated electronics inside, so basically it's an updated version of the 205.

Garz

Squat Member
I have the 500 and it is a great statistical tool. The course feature isn't perfect, however I feel they will iron out any issues at some point. The maps would be a great feature but I rarely would use it and as you mentioned it is chunkier (aswell as the extra price).

They come in other colours now though, black would have been my choice instead of the blue. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
OK. A practical question:

In order to use the 500 with several different bikes, I am assuming I need a to buy an additional mount and speed sensor for each additional bike. Seems obvious, but is it in fact correct?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You do at least need a spare mount. Speed sensors if you want pin point acuracy, or rely on the GPS ! I use my 705 with sensors on two bikes, but just with GPS on the fixed. Depending upon the 'pack' you go for you may get two mounts and two wireless sensors.

Nebulous

Guru
I bought a 'basic' 500 and it came with two bike mounts. It has been perfectly usable without the sensor - no cadence or hrm though. I'm getting the speed/cadence sensor for Christmas and will probably add the heart rate strap when the battery on my polar one runs out.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
OK. A practical question:

In order to use the 500 with several different bikes, I am assuming I need a to buy an additional mount and speed sensor for each additional bike. Seems obvious, but is it in fact correct?

As Nebulous said, it comes with 2 mounts and also a variety of different size attachment bands.
You can load 3 different bike stats onto the machine.

Top Bottom