Camelback for water - road riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mwktar

Über Member
Hey guys, I typically get through a fair bit of water on a ride, so on anything more than 20 ish miles I try to make sure I can stop at a shop etc to stock back up.

Doing a fairly hilly (just over 4000ft elev) 40 ish mile ride in the morning which takes me on a very busy and dangerous road for around 20 mins - so I'm leaving extra early to avoid as much traffic as possible.

Only just dawned on me that on a Sunday shops won't be open until 10! Any roadies out there used a camelback or similar set up to get enough water for a ride like this?

My main concern is the comfort of it I guess, especially on those long old sweaty climbs!! What're your experiences?

13 rider

Guru
Mate used to ride with a camel back but gave it up do to sweaty back syndrome am gone with 2 bottles like me

potsy

Rambler
Would hate to do any kind of distance with a rucksack/hydration pack, sweaty back and uncomfortable.
What size bottles are you using and how many?

OP
OP
mwktar

mwktar

Über Member
I get through my 2 750mls in under 20 miles if it's hilly (which it always bloody is here lol)

Might chuck an extra 500 in Jersey. Just found a coop in one spot and a soar in another that'll be open so should be all good :smile:

If anyone is interested in the ride, hoping to do merthyr Tydfil to port talbot, taking in hirwaun, the rhigos mountain andBwlch mountain

U

User6179

You can fit a litre bottle in the middle pocket of a cycling jersey , done this many a time, I have a camelback also but only use it on really hot days with big miles , if really warm I drink a litre of water before I leave .

screenman

Legendary Member
I seldom take a drink for a 20 miler, never needed it. It shows how different we all are.

Citius

I get through my 2 750mls in under 20 miles if it's hilly

Kin'ell, that's a lot of fluid for less than 20 miles - you must be drinking all the time - do you ever manage to get both hands on the bars at the same time?

Unless there is actually something wrong with you, about 500ml should be enough, maybe 750ml on a really, really hot, humid day.

I've used a 3L camelbak for years, on and off road. The sweaty back thing is nothing, you won't even notice after a few rides.

I use an Octane which about the lightest and easiest way to carry 3 litres of water and tools, pump and tyres. But having said that, 1.5litres for 20 miles is a lot of water. Are you not fully hydrated before getting on the bike? Currently the weather here is over 90f when I ride and I'll go through about a litre an hour (17-19mph average).

maxresdefault.jpg

OP
OP
mwktar

mwktar

Über Member
Flippin eck you lot are giving me a complex here :tongue:

I'll keep a note of how much I get through and let you know tomorrow lol.

Might be I don't consume quite that much, but I never leave (even for a 15 miler) without both full - would rather carry it and not need it than the alternative :smile:

OP
OP
mwktar

mwktar

Über Member
I did notice when doi g the velothon this year that I only drank 1 bottle in the first 40 odd miles, but that was flat as a pancake

Top Bottom