Camelback for water - road riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
I used to use one many years ago but could never get the water container cleaned properly... Probably my own fault for loading it with energy powders etc. I don't use them anymore and just have two bottles on any rides that I do. Don't worry about the amount of water you take, it is probably normal. But like others have said make sure your well hydrated before hand.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
[QUOTE 3855138, member: 259"]I wouldn't bother taking water for 20 miles.[/QUOTE]

Oh I don't know. Merthyr last week:

Death-Valley-011.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I got a though one and a half 750ml bottles doing 22 miles this morning.

I've got a budget version of a camelback and tend to avoid using it due to the plastic taste, even after multiple uses, although the clammy back has never been a concern. I'd use it if pushed, but am quite happy not to...

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I use the Camelbak now and again, I get a little cooler(but not much cooler) weather than @marzjennings . I don't get the sweaty back problem with the camelbak as much as I do with regular backpacks, which I tend to shun like the plague when riding.

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
Try 500ml an hour whether you think you need it or not. You are probably mistaking a dry throat from exertion for thirst. You'll climb better if you aren't constantly reaching for the water bottle. Oh and on the subject of camel backs on road bikes, just my opinion but noooooooooo!

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I would use less than one 500ml bottle for 20 miles but am in the wrong, all the advise is to be drinking at LEAST 500ml per hour, so if its hilly (and Wales has its fair share of the lumpy stuff) 10-12mph average would be what i would be doing, so in theory i should be doing at least 2 x 500ml for a 20 mile ride, thus i am as dehydrated as a sponge left in the sun even if i think i am fine.

I use a camel back on longer rides as I find a quick, frequent sip works better for me then larger glugs less often. I tend to put the water filled pack (and bottles) in the freezer the night before so it stays fresh and cool in my belly and on my back.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I get through my 2 750mls in under 20 miles if it's hilly (which it always bloody is here lol)

Might chuck an extra 500 in Jersey. Just found a coop in one spot and a soar in another that'll be open so should be all good :smile:

If anyone is interested in the ride, hoping to do merthyr Tydfil to port talbot, taking in hirwaun, the rhigos mountain andBwlch mountain
We do rhigos, bwlch and maerdy on our mountain slayer club ride......beastly climbs all 3 of them

NorvernRob

If I drink more I need to stop for a pee every 5 minutes, so I definitely don't need any more! I did 100 miles today with 2x750ml bottles and a latte from a cafe, I felt great at the end.

For 20 miles flat out (around an hour) I'll have a couple of mouthfuls, for 40 miles I'll use around 500ml unless it's in the Peaks then I might drink 750ml or so. The Peaks Epic route is 63 miles and 7,300ft of climbing, 2x750ml bottles do me fine for that.

Top Bottom