Cameras for cycle lanes/boxes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcr

Veteran
Excellent! The more cameras catching law-breaking motorists the merrier (and if they could provide usuable photo evidence for prosecuting cycle RLJers, even better).

Hmmm. I don't think much of the idea myself. I don't think it'll do anything to make our presence on the road more respected (and some of the comments bear me out on that) and it may well lead to increased calls from motorists to confine us to cycle lanes at all times, whether we want to be there or not. Plus, I occasionally end up with my tractor unit in an ASL at traffic lights, simply because it sometimes takes a while to stop - cameras are famous for their lack of discretion and I'll be very displeased if I start getting fined every time that happens. Finally, there's no harm in putting one's nearside wheels into the cycle lane (as long as it's clear) to pass, say, right - turning traffic.

Pete

I was going to say more or less the same as Rhythm Thief - seems a great idea but what about the possible backlash? We already have bus lane cameras and many city cyclists agree that bus lanes make the best cycle routes, perhaps we should stick with that.

As for your tractor unit transgressing the ASL, RT, well that's perfectly legal if the lights changed only as you were approaching the junction. I concede that many HGVs do need the extra room, and like most sensible cyclists I'll avoid messing it with a HGV waiting at a junction! It's the car drivers who just don't look at the road in front of them that bother me...

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Isn't there already enough snooping and focus on minor transgressions?

This will just get up people's noses even more and won't generate any great respect for us.

How about the simple emthod of making sure there are more traffic police out on the road, more police out on the street in general?

More cameras just means the police are mor elikely to think doing people for being in the ASL isn't their job, whether there is a camera there or not.......

Pete said:
As for your tractor unit transgressing the ASL, RT, well that's perfectly legal if the lights changed only as you were approaching the junction. I concede that many HGVs do need the extra room, and like most sensible cyclists I'll avoid messing it with a HGV waiting at a junction! It's the car drivers who just don't look at the road in front of them that bother me...

Absolutely. That's the only time I ever find myself in the ASL.

monnet

Guru
I can't help thinking it'll be used as yet another reason for us to 'use the cycle lane' regardless of its width and broken glass content.

monnet

Guru
I don't know why I bother. I think it's 'Daily Mail Letters Page Syndrome.' I say to myself 'don't read the comments, it's bad for your soul' but then I read them, thinking 'this time they'll amuse me', but just like with the Hate Mail, I get increasingly annoyed by each response. One day I'll learn and my blood pressure will be so much lower.

OP
OP
Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman

I was more interested in what Pete from St Albans had to say.

I didn't realise that having a child outside of marriage was illegal or dangerous. Or being a young mother for that matter.

Exactly :biggrin: The cameras aren't even there yet and the nasties are creeping out. I'm all in favour of keeping within the law(s) etc. and also in favour of the police 'nailing' those who don't - providing that they are impartial in doing so. I don't expect (or ask for) preferential treatment as a cyclist on the road, but it would be pleasant if some road users could have a bit more give and take now and again :biggrin:

Pete

I was more interested in what Pete from St Albans had to say.

I didn't realise that having a child outside of marriage was illegal or dangerous. Or being a young mother for that matter.
Or being black. :biggrin:

(no I don't live in St A)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm not sure it's a good idea at all. The odd cycle lane I use there's quite often a vehicle parked on it, usually on double yellows as well. I think that although people should in general show much better lane discipline, it's a minor irritating transgression. Whereas parking on them usually creates bottlenecks, obscures views etc.

Good idea to police ASLs. Then again, non-legitimately crawling into a a box is affectively RLJing. Spying on people RLJing would be even more useful.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
What about the cycle lanes that you can park in during certain hours, would not be happy if an over-zealous pedaller decided to take some form of direct action before they knew the parking regulations......

To be honest, if I have a high street delivery to do and there are cycle lanes on each side of the road, I park in the cycle lane. And will continue to do so, I'm afraid. If a camera's going to pick me up and fine me £120 every time I do so, a lot of people are going to have to start doing without a lot of things.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Cycle lanes on high streets? I think there probably lies the problem. If people are loading and stuff all the time the lane probably shouldn't be there.

Top Bottom