Cameras + YouTube + Google - using the power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
If you want to have a laugh go look at mrhippo's channel on YouTube, and listen to some of his narration.
I like to keep my private life just that - private but you have decided to make a personal attack and I feel that I have to reply.
I grew up in a time when left-handedness was considered wrong and somewhat evil: the Latin word for left is sinister. Some parents would do anything in their power to convert their child to using the right hand. In my case it was constant beatings and at one point a broken arm - broken accidently on purpose.
The legacy of this abuse left me with two problems - deafness in the left ear and a bad stutter. If anyone remembers Patrick Campbell from Call My Bluff, he was a fluent speaker compared t5o me!
I don't recall any bullying in primary school but endured 5 years of hell in grammar school - not only by pupils but also teachers and on one occassion by the whole school in morming assembly. The bullying and skitting also continued at home which is possibly why I took up cycling one my own with no one to mock me but this also had its moments.
I remember the summer of 62, cycling back from Southport and my back wheeel came loose, no problem, get the spanner out, tighten the nuts and be on my way. Someone, either Dad or one of my brothers had borrowed the spanner and never put it back. What would you have done? Possibly knocked on someone's door and ask to borrow a spanner. I could not so ended up having to push ny bike about 20 miles home
Did you watch The King's Speech? I was almost in tears watching that as it brought back so many memories especially the scene where the older brother was skitting the younger one - so very similar to my childhood but with both parents doing it as well as 5 siblings.
Do you know how many hours it takes me to narrate those videos? You can possibly do it in one take, I cannot. So, please, go ahead and continue to mock, You can say nothing to hurt me and say nothing that I have not heard before.

lukesdad

Well you said that Mr H posts sensible comments, I'm showing by the use of logic, that he does not.

The assumption of what exactly? I saw your post to Mr H but i'm not sure if you are referencing the drivers concentration or gaz's?
The concentration thing was first pointed out by Mr H and it was aimed at gaz.
I thought it was obvious it was the cyclists that was under scrutiny in the post, has it been a long week gaz ? ^_^

col

Legendary Member
I take you point onboard regarding these particular vids. I take Gaz's word for it, but you can't really make out the phones on the vid, so it wouldn't be admissable. I just meant that people who text whilst driving - in general -should lose their licences for a period of time
I think they should lose them for good, one mistake and your or my relative could be crippled or dead, for what? Ill be home in twenty minutes?

col

Legendary Member
ok i'll answer it. There is not a clear image of either driver holding a phone in my opinion.
By agreeing with you on that, it in turn proves my logic in post 324 correct which in turn proves your comment about Mr H making sensible posts incorrect.
Actually it makes the opposite point, he was concentrating on seeing something that is difficult to see. Making Mr H quite right.

col

Legendary Member
I take you point onboard regarding these particular vids. I take Gaz's word for it, but you can't really make out the phones on the vid, so it wouldn't be admissable. I just meant that people who text whilst driving - in general -should lose their licences for a period of time
I dont doubt The op on this, but just posting a vid that doesnt show whats claimed isnt right, as previous experience shows there can be dubious claims sometimes from some.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I thought it was obvious it was the cyclists that was under scrutiny in the post, has it been a long week gaz ? ^_^
Yes a rather long one.

Actually it makes the opposite point, he was concentrating on seeing something that is difficult to see. Making Mr H quite right.
He was hardly concentrating on it. He has it on video so there is no need to.
Back to one of my previous points, what should he be concentrating on if it is not oncoming traffic?

col

Legendary Member
Yes a rather long one.

He was hardly concentrating on it. He has it on video so there is no need to.
Back to one of my previous points, what should he be concentrating on if it is not oncoming traffic?
I like your twist there, no one was saying he shouldnt be concentrating on traffic , but then you knew that didnt you:laugh:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I like your twist there, no one was saying he shouldnt be concentrating on traffic , but then you knew that didnt you:laugh:
Well we will only know that if Mr H explains what he was referring to when he first brought concentrating into the thread.

col

Legendary Member
Well we will only know that if Mr H explains what he was referring to when he first brought concentrating into the thread.
At a wild stab in the dark gaz, Id say dont concentrate on whats inside vehicles, more like outside .Thought it would be obvious really?

Hip Priest

Veteran
I think they should lose them for good, one mistake and your or my relative could be crippled or dead, for what? Ill be home in twenty minutes?

I dunno. If they kill or seriously injure someone whilst texting, they should get a life ban. If they're caught texting otherwise, a 12 month ban should ensure that they never do it again and would deter others from doing it.

col

Legendary Member
I dunno. If they kill or seriously injure someone whilst texting, they should get a life ban. If they're caught texting otherwise, a 12 month ban should ensure that they never do it again and would deter others from doing it.
Thats a more sensible approach Hip, but Id still have them banned for good if caught anyway.

stowie

Legendary Member
At a wild stab in the dark gaz, Id say dont concentrate on whats inside vehicles, more like outside .Thought it would be obvious really?

I often look inside a vehicle, directly at a driver to gain eye contact. Especially if I think they might be concentrating on something else. Tends to be easy to spot those using a mobile - especially texters as they are holding the phone directly in front of them.

col

Legendary Member
I often look inside a vehicle, directly at a driver to gain eye contact. Especially if I think they might be concentrating on something else. Tends to be easy to spot those using a mobile - especially texters as they are holding the phone directly in front of them.
But not in the sense that your out to see if someone is doing something they shouldnt. Thats not the priority, or it could be for some. It seems some are becoming vigilante police , or trying to be. And its that that can make things unsafe for all. I agree sometimes its obvious a phone is being used, but we shouldnt be looking out for them, why would we, other than to post a film.

col

Legendary Member
1681254 said:
Routine risk assessment.
If you happen to spot one great, but id rather concentrate on the road with all my attention. thats the point.

stowie

Legendary Member
But not in the sense that your out to see if someone is doing something they shouldnt. Thats not the priority, or it could be for some. It seems some are becoming vigilante police , or trying to be. And its that that can make things unsafe for all. I agree sometimes its obvious a phone is being used, but we shouldnt be looking out for them, why would we, other than to post a film.

In the video, I would be looking directly at drivers to see if anyone might slow to let me round. Would do the same in the car as well. As for making things unsafe for all, I cannot really see how. And I doubt there are many cyclists going around specifically looking for incidents. Frankly, there are enough drivers out there who can be moronic all by themselves without help from cyclists, video camera vigilantes or no. On occasion I use a camera on my cycle, but I don't really believe it makes much difference to riding styles. I have reported really bad driving to roadsafe before now but wouldn't really make a habit of it. I would do the same in my car.

Top Bottom