Cameras + YouTube + Google - using the power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
In the video, I would be looking directly at drivers to see if anyone might slow to let me round. Would do the same in the car as well. As for making things unsafe for all, I cannot really see how. And I doubt there are many cyclists going around specifically looking for incidents. Frankly, there are enough drivers out there who can be moronic all by themselves without help from cyclists, video camera vigilantes or no. On occasion I use a camera on my cycle, but I don't really believe it makes much difference to riding styles. I have reported really bad driving to roadsafe before now but wouldn't really make a habit of it. I would do the same in my car.
Looking directly at drivers is good practice, but Im not looking for what they may be doing aswell. Cam stars can be looking in the wrong direction trying to get footage , which could cause problems. And there are some who look for things, or even force things for more footage, take a look on youtube, plenty dubious incidents there. Any attention given to what is happening inside a vehicle detracts from attention on the road, this is not the safest thing to do.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
1681254 said:
Routine risk assessment.
Just a quick reply before I get off cycling.
If you can see the driver then it is too late for risk assessment assumiing that you are travelling at a reasonable speed. You risk assessment should be based on what is happening a few hundred yards ahead of you and not what is in fromt of your nose - then it is far too late for risk assessment unless your reactions are faster than a speeding bullet

col

Legendary Member
1681282 said:
Maybe some people are capable of seeing more than other people.
Im sure there are some who can take in more info than others, but it still not the best thing to do in my opinion.

col

Legendary Member
1681288 said:
Nonsense, the car driver a few hundred yards away is not about to left hook you now is he?
But I think you would agree, you need to look ahead too.

boydj

Legendary Member
Looking directly at drivers is good practice, but Im not looking for what they may be doing aswell. Cam stars can be looking in the wrong direction trying to get footage , which could cause problems. And there are some who look for things, or even force things for more footage, take a look on youtube, plenty dubious incidents there. Any attention given to what is happening inside a vehicle detracts from attention on the road, this is not the safest thing to )do.
I've never heard so much nonsense. If you are looking directly at a driver (and where else would you be looking if you are waiting to turn across an approaching vehicle) then you cannot help but see if the driver is using a hand-held phone.

This constant going on about cyclists trying to engineer 'situations' is just nonsensical. Most of the cammers on here are experienced cyclists with good technique for cycling in traffic. To suggest that they deliberately put themselves in danger defies logic - but logic is not a strong point with some of the motoring apologists on this site.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Just a quick reply before I get off cycling.
If you can see the driver then it is too late for risk assessment assumiing that you are travelling at a reasonable speed. You risk assessment should be based on what is happening a few hundred yards ahead of you and not what is in fromt of your nose - then it is far too late for risk assessment unless your reactions are faster than a speeding bullet
Whilst yes you need to read ahead of you a few hundred yards. You still need to read things that are only a few yards ahead of you, as situations change consistently on roads and whilst the side road was clear when you where 150 yards away from it, now when you are 30 yards away there is a car trying to pull out.

col

Legendary Member
I've never heard so much nonsense. If you are looking directly at a driver (and where else would you be looking if you are waiting to turn across an approaching vehicle) then you cannot help but see if the driver is using a hand-held phone.

I agree

This constant going on about cyclists trying to engineer 'situations' is just nonsensical. Most of the cammers on here are experienced cyclists with good technique for cycling in traffic. To suggest that they deliberately put themselves in danger defies logic - but logic is not a strong point with some of the motoring apologists on this site.

I dissagree. As for motoring apologist, I just see what I percieve as fair and from both sides,not just from one. The simple fact that you say this phrase shows me you are heavily against anything motor , and probably dont see a simple mistake but instead see it as a dangerous thing done on purpose. And will defend the ones that do make mountains out of molehills for the sake of the cam.
Also your never heard so much nonsense opening ,indicates to me your general attitude. And coincidentally always seem to attack posts such as this. Without realising it, your probably one of the most dangerous things on the road, because of your attitude. Which puts all cyclists in the same light with other road users, the sooner you and your ilk realise this, the safer the roads will be for all.:thumbsup:

WOIW!!! Your own youtube channel and blog but have you thought of a name for it yet?
How about PINCHPOINTS?
Petty Incompetent Numpty Cyclons wHose Pointless Opinions Intend Naming Then Shaming

That's quite clever actually. Except for the wHose bit. That could have been Having, and then you'd have to change Intend to Intending for it to roll off the tongue better.

Anyway, nonsense apart, I still like the whole idea, and I'm not even a helmet cammer! Here's a suggestion - how about a 'Gateway' site? There seem to be some very tech savvy people here, how difficult would it be to set up a website that sits in between the user and YouTube, so that you upload your video to the 'new' website, inputting the car reg into a form, along with the video upload. That webby could then store a database of the regs and whatever other info you wanted on the form, and then upload the video to YouTube.

I have no idea if this is technically possible, just chucking an idea into the mix. If it is, someone needs to rush off and get www.pinchpoints.com before MrHippo starts Internet squatting on it :tongue:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Apologies for my last post, done in haste just before I went out. You need to be aware of the situation all around you and not just what is in front of your nose; the situation is constantly changing. Take a look at the following non-cycling scenarios:-
1) Someone is walking towards you, suddenly they clench a fist and make a bee-line for you
2) Someone is standing close to you within arm's length and suddenly they clench a fist.
In the first situation, you can take avoiding action and not get punched but what can you do in the second one?
I have enlarged and enhanced the stills from the video, the first driver could be scratching his ear, holding his jaw or anything, thev second shows nothing. I have tried to upload but images are very blurry.
Yes, I have read posts on this forum where posters say that someone on a mobile and driving could be involved in an accident and kill one of your family so why are you not filming people who drop litter? After all, someone could drop a bag of unfinished chips on the pavement and your elderly mum or gran could slip on them, crack their skull open and die. Oh, I forgot, pedestrians do not have number plates so you cannot name and shame.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
mrhippo, I never even noticed your stuttering, and wasn't referring to that. I was critiquing your videos in exactly the way you do to others, only less nastily and in less of a bullying fashion. If you were a little kinder to others on here, then perhaps many posters would be more willing to treat you the same way in return?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Ok- guys n gals - what editing program out there will allow me to slow mo and zoom in onto the drivers in question ?

:smile: thanks

I use Premiere Elements. I'm not sure whether it's the best, but it seems good and is quite powerful, much more so than for my needs. I also use Quicktime Pro, as that lets me clip the relevant bit of video out of the long segments my camera produces very quickly, without re-rendering the video.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
mrhippo, I never even noticed your stuttering, and wasn't referring to that. I was critiquing your videos in exactly the way you do to others, only less nastily and in less of a bullying fashion. If you were a little kinder to others on here, then perhaps many posters would be more willing to treat you the same way in return?
Well what do you you call "If you want to have a laugh go look at mrhippo's channel on YouTube, and listen to some of his narration." if not a personal attack?
This is not the first time you have attacked someone's speaking ability is it? Remember https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/holding-cars-up.89878/post-1611487 and your comment "Oh, and this guy must be the winner for the worst voice ever in camera cyclists"
You do not like my videos, how about giving me some constructive criticism?

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Well what do you you call "If you want to have a laugh go look at mrhippo's channel on YouTube, and listen to some of his narration." if not a personal attack?
This is not the first time you have attacked someone's speaking ability is it? Remember https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/holding-cars-up.89878/post-1611487 and your comment "Oh, and this guy must be the winner for the worst voice ever in camera cyclists"
You do not like my videos, how about giving me some constructive criticism?

Your 2 comments to me we're not constructive and were a direct attack - now considering I've never crossed your path it seems a little rich that your upset because you feel someone else is doing the same to you as you do to others ?

Top Bottom