Campagnolo or Shimano on a Bianchi?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Celeste and Campag, because you are buying the history and romance of the brand, not buying value for money.

Alternatives - well there are plenty, despite the problems I had Canyon would offer the exact opposite of Bianchi. If you want similar then you have Willier and De Rosa, but brands like Van Nicholas or custom build offer many options.

Don't get me wrong, I like Bianchi and one day want to own one. It will be celeste and Campag though.

De Rosa would be my alternative if I didnt buy my Oltre XR.

"Campagnolo is the only components company in the cycling world with its own production units, all located in Europe."

Point of information copied and pasted from the Campagnolo website. Some work is done in Romania, I believe, but the kit is produced in Vicenza. Not that this matters, at all, but we may as well get it right. I suspect a visit to the Bianchi factory at Bergamo would reveal a fair bit of manufacturing and finishing going on too, even if some of the moulding work is done elsewhere.
If you don't like Bianchi and Campagnolo then don't buy them, but tell the truth please.

Oh, and what a good point about the awkwardness of the Shimano brake-lever swinging difficulty for small hands. One young woman today on our club ride was utterly unable to change to the big ring with her 11-speed 105 set-up on her new Ruby - first ride. I think the Campagnolo button system is much superior, and more to the point, so does Mrs A who also has small hands.

Southside Mike

Oh, and what a good point about the awkwardness of the Shimano brake-lever swinging difficulty for small hands. One young woman today on our club ride was utterly unable to change to the big ring with her 11-speed 105 set-up on her new Ruby - first ride. I think the Campagnolo button system is much superior, and more to the point, so does Mrs A who also has small hands.

Also demonstrates that you should always arrange a test ride

RedRider

Pulling through
I'd never ride with anything other than Campagnolo (says me who's only ridden anything with Camagnolo for the last month).
Seriously though, in the last month I feel as though I've been admitted to a club of knowing nods and 'this guy's a connoisseur' which is obviously ridiculous but kind of nice anyway. It looks lovely and works well too.
Basically, I'm agreeing with @booze and cake

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've got quite large hands but I still found 105 shifters to be a pain in the wrist compared to the Veloce ones.

T4tomo

Guru
I have an Infinito CV, celeste but Ultegra. Bizarrely the Athena spec didn't come in full celeste, only black with a bit of celeste trim, and the Chorus was a big wedge more money. Whilst a lot of people have said that its looks lovely, none has asked why It doesn't have Campag.

Why is the Bianchi colour called "Celeste"? The name "Celeste" (or "Celestial") is associated with "Sky" (or "Blue"), whereas the Bianchi colour is a "Green" surely.
An excellent question. And as you say, "celeste" is italian for "sky blue". Perhaps Mr Bianchi, or you and me, were/are colour blind. We need to be told.

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
I have an Infinito CV, celeste but Ultegra. Bizarrely the Athena spec didn't come in full celeste, only black with a bit of celeste trim, and the Chorus was a big wedge more money. Whilst a lot of people have said that its looks lovely, none has asked why It doesn't have Campag.

That would have been my first choice but the current Infinito CV Ultegra does not come in full Celeste, just a choice of Matt black/graphite/CK16 (fluo celeste) or Matt titanium/black/red. The Athena equipped version comes in Celeste hence my original question about Campagnolo.

I seem to have stirred a lot of emotions with the original question. We all have our own preferences so perhaps it is time to bring this tread to a close? Thanks for all the replies. :smile:

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
I'm neutral yet wonder about the price difference now and later if something needs replaced?

That would have been my first choice but the current Infinito CV Ultegra does not come in full Celeste, just a choice of Matt black/graphite/CK16 (fluo celeste) or Matt titanium/black/red. The Athena equipped version comes in Celeste hence my original question about Campagnolo.

I seem to have stirred a lot of emotions with the original question. We all have our own preferences so perhaps it is time to bring this tread to a close? Thanks for all the replies. :smile:

Top Bottom