Campagnolo Xenon Rear Derailleur Broked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
camp1.jpg
camp2.jpg

My rear Derailleur got eaten by my back wheel many months ago. Is it possible to remove and replace the cage sections at all ? I can't see a way to do this at all. If I can, this will be really good news.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I think it would be better to get a complete second hand one from eBay, they are not expensive.
This one is at £5.99 plus post http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131881281555&globalID=EBAY-GB

You can replace the cage - it's held in place on the pivot by a circlip - you need to be careful about releasing that circlip though as the cage is spring loaded and if it's still tensioned, it will whip round pretty darn hard!

If it's not still tensioned, check that the stop moulded into the mech body, that the tensioned cage would normally rest against, hasn't been skimmed off, in amongst the other damage.

In general we advise against repair in these cases and also against second-hand mechs. The upper pivot is retained in a housing made of glass-reinforced techno-polymer ( GRTP, like fibreglass-plastic, basically). If subject to excessive stress (as in this type of accident but it can also happen other ways), the GRTP can micro-fracture in a fashion you can't see - this can lead to failure later, usually when the mech is in the biggest sprocket (that stresses the area around the top pivot to the maximum) so leaving you with another RD-wheel interface scenario - likely to cost you another rear wheel as well as the RD and, as may previously have happened, a new chain and if you are unlucky, a cassette to replace, too.

HTH
Graeme

winjim

Smash the cistern
In general we advise against repair in these cases and also against second-hand mechs. The upper pivot is retained in a housing made of glass-reinforced techno-polymer ( GRTP, like fibreglass-plastic, basically). If subject to excessive stress (as in this type of accident but it can also happen other ways), the GRTP can micro-fracture in a fashion you can't see - this can lead to failure later, usually when the mech is in the biggest sprocket (that stresses the area around the top pivot to the maximum) so leaving you with another RD-wheel interface scenario - likely to cost you another rear wheel as well as the RD and, as may previously have happened, a new chain and if you are unlucky, a cassette to replace, too.
Is that the case for all Campagnolo rear mechs? Or just particular models / ranges? It seems an odd choice of material if it has that problem.

Last edited:
Damage that is not readily seen by the naked eye can affect a lot of other areas in a bicycles made in composites too - forks, CF rear triangles, CF frames ...

Consider - if the wheel has caught the rear derailleur and exerted enough force to destroy by bending a cage made from two-cross-braced pieces, one in alloy, one in steel, how wise is it to then use a part of that assembly again? It's a general characteristic of composites that damage can be very hard to detect by visual examination which is why most mechanics advise against re-use of CF forks, for instance, after a big crash.

On the basis that re-use of a part that has been stressed to the extent mentioned is a poor idea, since with previously-used items one has no knowledge of whether someone else has done the same, or a similar thing, repairing a (in this case) derailleur damaged in the same way and selling it on, it wouldn't be logical to advise that as a good idea, either.

Top Bottom