Camper Van advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Here’s Geraldine next to our old Luxo Florence :-(
2‘ shorter, 1’ narrower and a lot lower.
Much easier to drive and manouever, @Hill Wimp barely lets me drive now!
Slept out last night, not quite as cosseted but not a bad place to be either. Just need to figure where we put everything!
V. Happy!

straas

Matt
Things to consider:

- What space have you got at home, that could dictate length or height.
- What will you primarily use it for? if it's a partial car replacement think about height barriers and length of car parking spaces.
- The DVLA are no longer accepting the majority of van conversions as "motor caravans" on the V5, so you'll be limited to van speeds on national limit roads.
- What sort of sleeping arrangement would work? Often with children you can get a camp bed to go over the front seat and have the adults on a pullout in the back - or the child(ren) can sleep in a pop top or similar.
- Accessories and extras can be much easier to find in an "established" scene (i.e. if you get a VW transporter or similar) you might have to go a bit more bodging with vans that don't have as many people working on them.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I kind of fancy one, but just a little one as I don't think I'd have the confidence to drive anything very big. Either one of the VW van types, or maybe a little Romahome or Nu Venture.
You can get something like a Peugeot Partner conversion with a rising roof. Bike rack on the back preferably with a towbar for mounting it. Slightly bigger and slightly more realistic is a VW as it is slightly longer. Cannot remember which model name. I looked at one on a site last year but the person with it had hired it and knew nothing about it. For one person it looked ideal. I have seen quite a few small van conversions this year and you can use an awning for more space but personally I would not bother.
A place for everything and everything in it's place is the secret in small vans.

DRM

Guru
You can get something like a Peugeot Partner conversion with a rising roof. Bike rack on the back preferably with a towbar for mounting it. Slightly bigger and slightly more realistic is a VW as it is slightly longer. Cannot remember which model name. I looked at one on a site last year but the person with it had hired it and knew nothing about it. For one person it looked ideal. I have seen quite a few small van conversions this year and you can use an awning for more space but personally I would not bother.
A place for everything and everything in it's place is the secret in small vans.
Anything but a Peugeot Partner/Citroen Expert/Toyota Proace unless you want an eternal money pit

Fab Foodie

And as we can only fit 5 bikes in the trailer the Brompton fits neatly in the under bed “garage”
Ha, we started with a pair of Bromptons in the underbed ‘garage’ of our first MOHO. Since then we had garages that carried 2 full sized bikes upright until now that is.... the B comes everywhere with me regardless.

Fab Foodie

@Mo1959 The shorter wheelbase Boxers/Ducatos are very easy drives. Whilst initially climbing-up into the cab seems a bit daunting you very soon get used to it and appreciate the improved views! With big wing mirrors and reversing cameras they really are very easy to maneuver and have surprisingly tight turning circles. Go 6m or less and they'll fit into any parking space.
The benefit is headroom and a lot more internal space and choice of layouts. You can always test-drive one.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
View attachment 548493

Here’s Geraldine next to our old Luxo Florence :-(
2‘ shorter, 1’ narrower and a lot lower.
Much easier to drive and manouever, @Hill Wimp barely lets me drive now!
Slept out last night, not quite as cosseted but not a bad place to be either. Just need to figure where we put everything!
V. Happy!

Out of interest, did you go with a manual or auto gearbox? I've heard good things about the new 9speed auto, to the point I'm thinking of changing our order...

Fab Foodie

Out of interest, did you go with a manual or auto gearbox? I've heard good things about the new 9speed auto, to the point I'm thinking of changing our order...
We have the 160hp with the 9 speed auto. First impressions are 'WOW'!
So far only 400 plus miles but it is super-smooth, you really don't notice the gear-changes at all...it's a bit like the old Daf Variomatics, you go faster but the engine-note barely changes! Disconcerting at first, It's like being powered by an electric train. You have 3 modes as well, Normal, Power and Eco. Normal on our van is almost too much, Power would be for Santa-pod. Eco is just perfect for most of our needs.
We had the Comfortmatic before and this is a whole step-change better.
Very impressed.

Top Bottom