camping a la france

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
hey guys,

just wondering what the rules are with regard to wild camping in France? can you just pitch where you please when you are in the countryside?

what would be a standard rate for staying in a campsite?

can you recommend anything for cooking with, no problem with weight or size as it will be in a van, but will need to be able to cook for four people on a month long tour...

thanks alot,
andy

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Wild camping is not allowed AFAIK in France but municipal sites can be as cheap as 3 euros pp per night.

Percy

Wilding camping in France is, as far as I know, illegal. It's strictly illegal in a lot of places though and if you must do it the usual rules apply - leave no trace and don't p*ss anyone off.

However, for a very minimal amount of euros (especially shared between four of you) you can park your van on a campsite - municipal's are best on a budget, as rich says - and have waste/sanitary facilities to hand, as well as putting into the local community and helping to ensure that such sites have a future. I've only ever stayed in them with a bike and tent, no van, but it's never been more than 7 euros per night.

Cook on a gas stove - there are innumerable varieties and sizes to suit all budgets and weight limits.

Bigtwin

I've ad-hoc camped around France with no probs just keeping a low profile, but I think it is technically illegal.

As said above though, sites are good and cheap. The municipal ones are always very good, and have to have shower and washing facilities, and the price is, I believe, capped centrally.

Nothing to back it up but I had some idea that each area (village etc) had some requirement to lay on a campsite.

This may explain why almost any village or town of any size in fairly certain to have a camp site. They are everywhere. I would guess there must be a guide to them. Michelin maps have camp sites marked on them and there are dots everywhere (but no diff between municipal basic and posh all inclusive sites).

Probably the best country to do what you are planning in.

If you have a van then get a fairly decent cooker with a couple of rings min or else you will be all evening trying to get some stuff cooked.

We have just turned up at sites and always found a pitch in France. There is a two week period in the summer when all of France goes on holiday - that period may be difficult to find spaces. Not sure when that is though!

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
ok it sounds like finding camp sites should not be too difficult, which is a good thing.

any recomedations for the cooking, i've only ever cooked with tiny gas stoves before on d of e expeditions, but clearly they are impractical for such a long time

also is it worth getting/borrowing one of the thermalite inflatable matresses as sleep will be important cycling so far each day ?

Bigtwin

ilovebikes said:
ok it sounds like finding camp sites should not be too difficult, which is a good thing.

any recomedations for the cooking, i've only ever cooked with tiny gas stoves before on d of e expeditions, but clearly they are impractical for such a long time

also is it worth getting/borrowing one of the thermalite inflatable matresses as sleep will be important cycling so far each day ?

Take a BIG pot with a lid and a BIG frying pan, and a kettle. Get to like all-in stews with lots of red wine - simple. Takes ages to cook anything. Scrambled/boiled eggs and bread for brekkie is a winner for me doing bulk. Porridge for brekkie for a change/cold day. You can get those two ring gas burners for about a tenner most places. Not sure what gas fittings they have out there commonly now, so I'd get it when you get there.

I have a Thermarest and they are great if you're carrying it. With a van, I'd take a camp bed/blow up matress with a little electric pump and have some luxury.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
We have a Cadac which we use in the caravan.
We are normally pretty crap with BBQs, and fail with them. It either takes way too long to get them hot enough, or they are really hot.
Even when we got a cheap gas one it was crap.
Then we got a Cadac:smile: Set it all up(easy to do aswell) and you get a grill/flat plate and its well easy. All non stick aswell. Perfect.

Or, i suppose you could get two of those single burner stoves(the one that comes in a plastic box, and takes like an aerosol canister that slots into the unit) and get a load of gas cannister(4 for £8.99 in Millets IIRC) and use those?
The proper 2 burner 'Camping Gaz' ones are about £50 IIRC

I didnt notice what dates you are thinking about but 15th july to 15th august gets very busy in france.The whole population holidays between these dates,the roads,restaurants campsites,hotels can be manic.Going without having bookings is not recommended.Also any wild camping areas will be full of campervans free loading.

Joe24

ilovebikes said:
80 quid is slightly out of budget tbh, would something like this do the job?

Oh **** me, did i not just suggest that:wacko:
Yes, those are fine. You do need a big cannister with them though. Which is something like another £30 and so much as a deposit for the bottle, or something or other.

Joe24

Will1985 said:
Maybe you're on his ignore list Joe :biggrin:

Btw, it's "camping en France".

I wouldnt be surprised.

Although, i would have thought that YC would wack me on his ignore list. He hasnt:wacko:
Full on love right there.

Top Bottom