Camping advice needed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
OK, so, there's a possibility I'm doing a 2 night camping trip in a couple of weeks time.
The last time I was in a tent was 40 years ago, so I may be a little short on experience
whistling.gif

What are the absolute essentials I will need to get to make things a little easier?

So far I have a 3 man tent (which I haven't yet put up solo) and a 3 season sleeping bag, plus one of those little burner thingies...

Help..

Ps - there will be no cycling involved ^_^

stephec

Legendary Member
Beer. 🍻

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What are the absolute essentials I will need to get to make things a little easier?
A smartphone, mobile data allowance, a phone signal, cash for the taxi, and enough money in your account to cover the cost of the 4-star hotel!

A more useful tip: Don't do what my cousin did in Devon, which was to erect his tent in a dip, a few hours before a thunderstorm... His tent, sleeping bag etc. didn't dry out for his entire holiday. He slept in his car instead! :laugh:

I'm assuming that you are not 'in your first flush of youth' ...
To what you have at the moment, I - as a 70+ yo who still camps - would suggest some form of padding AND thermal insulation from the ground (as much as possible, really, depending on weight/space etc availability) and a lightweight folding chair. I bought a super-light and compact one in Aldi recently, it weighs under a kg and I've taken it loads of places with me on my bike and on walks - sitting in a civilised fashion makes all the difference for me and my joints!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
OK, so, there's a possibility I'm doing a 2 night camping trip in a couple of weeks time.
The last time I was in a tent was 40 years ago, so I may be a little short on experience View attachment 600740

So far I have a 3 man tent (which I haven't yet put up solo) and a 3 season sleeping bag, plus one of those little burner thingies...

Help..

Ps - there will be no cycling involved ^_^

You need a sleeping mat.

If you're not cycling or hiking there it doesn't have to be all that lightweight.

So you could probs get something comfy enough (but heavyish) on a budget.

Neo air do great ones , but possibly overkill if you're not going to be a regular camper

Alpkit are pretty good mid range budget.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
I'm assuming that you are not 'in your first flush of youth' ...
To what you have at the moment, I - as a 70+ yo who still camps - would suggest some form of padding AND thermal insulation from the ground (as much as possible, really, depending on weight/space etc availability) and a lightweight folding chair. I bought a super-light and compact one in Aldi recently, it weighs under a kg and I've taken it loads of places with me on my bike and on walks - sitting in a civilised fashion makes all the difference for me and my joints!
Ah yes, I also have a folding camping chair so should be OK there.
Plus one of those little stool type ones you can pop in a backpack :okay:

Ah yes, I also have a folding camping chair so should be OK there.
Plus one of those little stool type ones you can pop in a backpack :okay:
Take both - one for your and one for your plate/mug/fork/spoon etc. Coffee and tea taste much better when they don't have ants stirred into them and slugs won't be able to nick your beer as easily ... LOL!
Oh, and practice getting that tent up, and packing it away again. Always wise to make sure you have all the bits!

Top Bottom