Camping on my Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Toured Harris, Lewis and N.Uist by Brompton about 6 years ago. Fabulous! Bivvied, hosteled and stayed chez @iandg and his fab family - lovely evening!
As long as you’re not in a rush, a Brompton is a great touring machine with the added benefit of being bus and train friendly.
The OH are fab, Barra and Eriskay are gemS as are Bernaray and Harris west coast.
We have 70 y/o friends on Grimsay we visit every year, it’s never less than magic.
Weather is highly variable, roads great and bugger-all is open on a Sunday. Shops can be scarce.
We now go in a luxury motorhome, but I wanna be there on my bike....
Magic!

tyred

Legendary Member
I had formed plans to take my Brompton and camping kit to the Outer Hebridies in September but I guess Covid has screwed that idea for the time being.

I've done loaded touring on the Brompton before, including rides of 80 odd miles in a day but without camping gear as I had booked hostels. They are great really with the advantage that they can be taken on buses. The whole point of touring is to slow down and enjoy it, not to rush through it all chasing average speeds.

tyred

Legendary Member
This is what I did - the T- bag on the front with a Carradice saddle bag on the bag loops of the saddle. I put a shoulder strap borrowed from an old holdall on the saddle bag so I could put it over my shoulder and carry the T- Bag and the folded bike when I was getting on the bus.
47937191397_885090a3df_o.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Bulgaria last year. Lovely place 😁

Nice.

Have thought of doing it (I have a 5 speed with rack and even a touring pannier) but I fear I couldn't get my gear down enough. I'm no minimalist.

Maybe I'll settle for a couple of nights mini adventure.

Bulgaria last year. Lovely place 😁 View attachment 534408
Thats brilliant. If I can figure out how to strap hard hat, steel toe cap boots, overalls and rest off PPE to one then I have my new travel bike !!🥴

They are the most versatile of bicycles!
From my other posts you may see I am considering one to take away working abroad to keep the legs spinning. Just when I think I cant make it work, up pops a pic like yours in full camping mode and I think again 😋
Just when I scrapped the idea, decided to rent when I can and buy a Domane for home !!!

veets

Regular
For those of you who solo tour and camp, how do you manage needing to be away from your bike and supplies at times? Is there no risk of theft where you go? Or do you have other strategies?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not easily done with Bromptons, I don't want to stress the rear frame pivot, so that rules out axle-attached trailers, and there's too much leverage available if it mounts on the saddle... favourite would be something that used an adapter that replaced the nut on the seatpost clamp, but I haven't seen one that does that yet... might have to make one, it would solve some problems, but you'd need the trailer to be folding...
I had a Columbus trailer which used to hitch you describe. We used it for business purposes but I did a couple of tours with it using a 1980's mountain bike. It was not suitable for a Brompton but people do sell trailers specifically for a Brompton and I have seen a couple in use. Cyclone trailers I think?
As an edit I just noticed I had a similar post up earlier re the Columbus.

Top Bottom