Camping with your Cycle!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Lone Rider

Ok so its less that 6 weeks before I set off on my BIG challenge.

When on tour what is the best way to lock your bike up while camping? I have a long steel cable and lock but does anyone use an alarm.

Thoughts and advice please

Many thanks in advance

spiderman2

Über Member
Ok so its less that 6 weeks before I set off on my BIG challenge.

When on tour what is the best way to lock your bike up while camping? I have a long steel cable and lock but does anyone use an alarm.

Thoughts and advice please

Many thanks in advance

ground anchor

gilespargiter

Veteran
In some situations as well as locking the bike I run a discreet cord from it to some strategic bit of kit in the tent, so that if it moves I'am imediately alerted.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you are camping somewhere within white van driving range of a big connurbation in a popular campsite it would be worth taking precautions.

Anywhere hidden or discrete where thieves wouldn't think to go and you'll be fine.

Friends of mine camped in a popular site and they all hid their bikes out of sight of the tents down a slope. The next morning the bikes had all gone. Collusion by the site owner was suspected but couldn't be proved.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Once you are out of the UK. Breathe easy. ^_^

I am not saying bikes dont go missing on mainland Europe. But mine hasnt. I have 2x 3mm stainless steel wires and a couple of locks. I always lock them to something that doesnt move. Try and get camped somewhere secluded and wire them to the tent if you have to. Dont leave anything of value on them. passport, camera, money etc.

In towns and cities, I have left the bike at bikeshops and bought cakes as a thank you.

snorri

Legendary Member
I have had nightmares about being disturbed from my sleep, extricating myself from sleeping bag and tent then running naked from a campsite chasing a bike thief........................................................................... but it has never happened for real:biggrin:.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I reckon that bike theft in the country only happens where local scallies have got the location down on their scally radars. One bad spot is the cafe in Orton near Lancaster; bikes used to disappear into vans regularly but maybe ANPR tracking on major roads has put paid to that now.

EMorgan

Hello everyone! My first post here!
We have battery powered alarms with a small chain attached to the alarm body at one end and the other end to a tab which sets of a siren once it’s pulled out of the alarm. You can thread this chain through the stakes e.g. so if your bike is moved, it goes off. :smile:

freiston

Veteran
When I used to go cycle-camping back in the 80s, my friend and I used to thread a length of fishing line through the bikes and pinned close to the ground with a couple of tent skewer pegs to a battery and siren mounted on a small board with a simple tin-plate switch that the fishing line was attached to (kept under the flysheet) - a pull of half an inch on the fishing line would have set the alarm off. The bikes were locked to each other too.

Edit: - these personal alarms cost £3.90 and could easily be adapted:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=40&v=zBAgvEZnuag

Last edited:

the stupid one

Über Member
carp fishing bite alarm? Might need a cut-down bankstick to get it at ground level just inside the tent outer. Clip fishing line to bike, pass through alarm, rest something light on the loose end, and hope not to be woken.

Top Bottom