Camping with your Cycle!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
If on tour, I often use cowbells on the bike, lets people on paths know I'm coming, and the clapper can be covered with silicone tubing to quiet it. And the bike can't be moved without sounding like a herd of dairy cows. Although personal alarms are pretty good as an idea as well, or window alarms.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
But I also have non-human marauders in my part of the world.
image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2018%2F04%2Fraccoon1.jpg
Image by Yuri Smityuk, for Tass.

A couple years ago there was a similar thread on the CUK forum by Big Jim.
An idea floating around was the use of personal attack alarms linked from owner/tent to the bike. If it moved enough to pull the pin they give off a deafening siren.
The times I've gone camping withe kids/fiancee/family we've always been able to leave the tent and valuables inside it and wander off for several hours without fear of being theft victims. It's just never happened.
Dunno if I'd feel the same about risking the bike overnight though.
I was thinking in that direction but then this was recommended to me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Arrived the other day and just near deafened myself fiddling with it. If you were of a mischevious/evil frame of mind you could maybe start a stampede with it. Very good. Well made. Works by remote so you can arm it from your tent. Following the advice of London cops with regard to scooter thefts I think I'll cover the bike with this temporarily attached to the bike. As it's covered any crooks won't be able to suss the target out before. Did I say it was loud?

Recommended.

Crankarm

Guru
If your bike is that valuable or has such sentimental value then fit a tracker plus take all the other anti-theft measures. Alarmed motorcycle disc lock is a possibility. Thieves can also be other campers i.e. people with motorhomes who leave very early in the morning, lifting a few bikes and putting them inside before they drive away. Some years ago this used to be a too frequent occurrence on french and spanish campsites.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
There is an alarm available that fires a blank shotgun cartridge if the bike moves.

You not only dont lose the bike but have the satisfaction of knowing the thief needed clean shorts.

Top Bottom