Can an Ahead set up be used on a threaded headtube? If so what are the issues?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
why did they invent the quill to ahead handlebar stem converter?
So you can use oversized bars and a modern stem combo on an older style bike AFAIK. I used to use one when I converted my fixed from track to road use,

fuji1u.jpg

Manonabike

Über Member
You can buy a converter 1" to 1.1/8" which will take an ahead stem. Very easy job. I did this on my Reynolds 351 frame and I'm so glad I did it. I never liked the look of quill stems.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
There has to be a problem here that I haven't considered or else why did they invent the quill to ahead handlebar stem converter?

The converter is needed because with a threaded set of forks, there is no tube above the head tube to connect the stem to. Quill stems attach to the forks inside the head tube.

All the converter is, is a straight post with a securing wedge at the bottom, allowing you to have somewhere to attach your clamp to. I have two bikes like that and they work absolutely fine.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
The converter is needed because with a threaded set of forks, there is no tube above the head tube to connect the stem to. Quill stems attach to the forks inside the head tube.

All the converter is, is a straight post with a securing wedge at the bottom, allowing you to have somewhere to attach your clamp to. I have two bikes like that and they work absolutely fine.
I knew that it was possible to use a converter to be able to fit a modern stem and bars but wanted to know if it was possible to fit the ahead headset on to a frame with a headtube designed for the quill so that the converter wasn't necessary. Sorry, I should have been clearer in my op.
I think the mechanics of the ahead headset system is better than the old quill style not to mention the amount of hassle it saves when changing or adjusting handlebars. It seems it is possible and the problem is more with the fork stem length than the headtube and that bearings and cones need changing.

The downside of the ahead system as I see it is that although it is better in many ways i just don't think it has the elegance of the quill system.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
You can buy a converter 1" to 1.1/8" which will take an ahead stem. Very easy job. I did this on my Reynolds 351 frame and I'm so glad I did it. I never liked the look of quill stems.
I really prefer the look of the quill system which is what has stopped me converting sooner. I don't hate the look of the ahead but do think it is less refined looking. However the mechanical advantages are what makes it really attractive, as well as the versitility and ease of use. Knowing that I will never again have to struggle and grind and scrape and pry to get handle bars on is sweet.

Manonabike

Über Member
I really prefer the look of the quill system which is what has stopped me converting sooner. I don't hate the look of the ahead but do think it is less refined looking. However the mechanical advantages are what makes it really attractive, as well as the versitility and ease of use. Knowing that I will never again have to struggle and grind and scrape and pry to get handle bars on is sweet.

I'm not surprised. Lots of people like quill stems and that is fine. I've had some lovely Nitto quill stems but for my taste, on the bike, they don't look good for me.

I had a very tall Nitto stem that made my bike look goofy. The stem was 95mm over the top of the headset although the bars were only 70mm over the top of the headset. I hated the way the stem made my bike look. Now, I have a stem converter 30mm of spacers and a 17 degree stem. Perfect!!!!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Even if you could get hold of a fork with a threaded steerer that's long enough to use with an aheadset & clamp-on stem, it would be dangerous to use as clamping a stem on a threaded section will almost inevitably lead to the top of the steerer snapping off at some point.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm still a little undecided, and financially it will be less expensive for me to get some black thread less carbon forks because I already have everything else I need. Also getting some black thread less forks would mean both my bikes match!

If I do go carbon then I'll keep the original forks for a possible future 'upgrade'.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I'm still a little undecided, and financially it will be less expensive for me to get some black thread less carbon forks because I already have everything else I need. Also getting some black thread less forks would mean both my bikes match!

If I do go carbon then I'll keep the original forks for a possible future 'upgrade'.
And what is more...you'll have carbon forks.

Top Bottom