Can anyone help with braking system information required for my 1000w motor Ebike please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

riffraff

Just as well it's an American bike - it's certainly not legal for use in the UK.
As I mentioned a few times, I am seeking approval from DVSA, Ive had one appointment and the guys there loved the bike and once its approved of course it will be legal. Thanks for taking the time to comment though.

OP
OP
R

riffraff

Stop being so grumpy. What has 'legality' got to do with the OP's question?
Anyway 'type approval' implies that the OP is seeking to achieve that as a motor bike, and @iluvmybike and @glasgowcyclist have intimated upthread.
"In the UK, the Vehicle Certification Agency is the designated UK Type Approval Authority for automotive products "
Thankyou for your reply, yes I am seeking type approval from DVSA in order to apply for a license and then have a legal 1000w eco friendly commutable ebike. Its not an easy process and just needed help on brake calculations but I think I've asked in the wrong place or more probably didn't ask the right question. Thanks for understanding.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You will get much more braking power (if that's what's needed (as far as the brakes are concerned) to get type approval) by going for decent brakes and 203mm rotors. If the interface at the bars has to be cable then go for hybrids: TRP HY-RD is probably the best mass-market cable actuated disc brake around - note that the hydraulics will improve control not power (unless the rider has weak hands). But my observation regarding all-up weight and the braking power needed is still pertinent. It may be that the type approval needs to be satisfied for a top quintile (weight) rider (+luggage).

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Hello, can anyone help?
We have an Ebike that we are trying to get type approved & I have been asked to provide clarification on braking systems on cables - seek manufacturer build specs and durability technical specifications!
The brakes on my Ebike are Tektro Aries MD-M300 Aries and the it has a 1000w motor.
Does anyone know how to work this out please? I attach the Tektro specifications?
Thankyou! View attachment 581049
I think you would be best off contacting Tektro Sales themselves http://www.tektro.com/contact.php , only they will have this information and I am sure once you get to the right person they would be happy to supply it given you are trying to become a customer of theirs even indirectly. If Tektro don't play ball then ask the supplier of the bikes to ask them.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hmm the review linked says the brakes are up to to the job, but rather you than me on a 5 stone electric motor bike and low end tektro brakes? I imagine it will eat pads a quite a rate.

Just out of interest, why do you want / need it de restricted? can you not just use it as is in its restricted form and thus not need to go thru the type approval process, or thinking as I type, is it never going to be legal without type approval as the motor is too powerful?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
TRP HY-RD is probably the best mass-market cable actuated disc brake around
They ARE very good, but you need to use brake levers which pull a lot of cable. I replaced the front brake on my CAADX with a HY-RD and found that the pull from my old Tiagra brake lever wasn't really up to the job. I could pull the lever nearly all the way to the handlebar before the brake started to bite. There is a bodge which helps with that (rerouting the cable to the other side of the bolt on the brake assembly); I still have to pull the lever way further than I should have to but at least now I get full brake power just before the lever hits the bar.

Definitely something to look into before buying HY-RDs.

OP
OP
R

riffraff

I think you would be best off contacting Tektro Sales themselves http://www.tektro.com/contact.php , only they will have this information and I am sure once you get to the right person they would be happy to supply it given you are trying to become a customer of theirs even indirectly. If Tektro don't play ball then ask the supplier of the bikes to ask them.
This is a great help, I agree, Tektro would be the best people to help but Ive struggled to receive a reply to date but I will keep trying. Thankyou again!

OP
OP
R

riffraff

They ARE very good, but you need to use brake levers which pull a lot of cable. I replaced the front brake on my CAADX with a HY-RD and found that the pull from my old Tiagra brake lever wasn't really up to the job. I could pull the lever nearly all the way to the handlebar before the brake started to bite. There is a bodge which helps with that (rerouting the cable to the other side of the bolt on the brake assembly); I still have to pull the lever way further than I should have to but at least now I get full brake power just before the lever hits the bar.

Definitely something to look into before buying HY-RDs.
Thankyou, very interesting and definitely a good discussion point. I appreciate your reply!

OP
OP
R

riffraff

Hmm the review linked says the brakes are up to to the job, but rather you than me on a 5 stone electric motor bike and low end tektro brakes? I imagine it will eat pads a quite a rate.

Just out of interest, why do you want / need it de restricted? can you not just use it as is in its restricted form and thus not need to go thru the type approval process, or thinking as I type, is it never going to be legal without type approval as the motor is too powerful?
Its a project and you are probably right, I would like to have it approved through the correct channels, and it also seems I like a challenge.
Thanks Janette

boydj

Legendary Member
As I mentioned a few times, I am seeking approval from DVSA, Ive had one appointment and the guys there loved the bike and once its approved of course it will be legal. Thanks for taking the time to comment though.

The current UK limit for a powered cycle is 250W and power cut-out above 15mph. Anything more than that will be classified as a motorcycle and will require insurance, VED and the appropriate approvals. It's highly unlikely that these limits are going to be changed, so if your bike is approved, it will be as a motorcycle.

Frankly, I believe that it would be dangerous for the riders and other road users for the bike as specified above to be treated as a bicycle.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The OP is not trying to get this e-bike approved "as a bicycle". As you say: "classified as a motorcycle and will require insurance, VED and the appropriate approvals." See the OP where he asked for help (which we've been unable to provide):
"clarification on braking systems on cables - seek manufacturer build specs and durability technical specifications! The brakes on my Ebike are Tektro Aries MD-M300 Aries and the it has a 1000w motor. Does anyone know how to work this out please?"

Top Bottom