Can anyone help with braking system information required for my 1000w motor Ebike please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
The current UK limit for a powered cycle is 250W and power cut-out above 15mph. Anything more than that will be classified as a motorcycle and will require insurance, VED and the appropriate approvals. It's highly unlikely that these limits are going to be changed, so if your bike is approved, it will be as a motorcycle.

Frankly, I believe that it would be dangerous for the riders and other road users for the bike as specified above to be treated as a bicycle.

Have you read his post?, he's trying to get type approval for a vehicle..

keithmac

Guru
Have they done a roller brake test on the 1000w ebike.

What class vehicle will it be?, I would assume Class 1 motorcycle.

keithmac

Guru
Without knowing what Category they are aiming for I don't think anyone can give any constructive advice?.

That advert just looks like a complete can of worms legality wise, like selling a 1000cc Sports bike to a learner with a reduced power engine map..

classic33

Leg End Member
That's just an illegal bike that the sellers are trying to fool potential buyers into thinking it's legal

I think that has been asked 3 times so far, without an answer
That's only one of many out there.
The idea being he could check what they came with, brake wise, and compare maybe match.

boydj

Legendary Member
I'd be surprised if bicycle brakes would be sufficiently powerful, or meet the required standards, for a machine that's significantly more powerful and heavier than a legal e-bike.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'd be surprised if bicycle brakes would be sufficiently powerful, or meet the required standards, for a machine that's significantly more powerful and heavier than a legal e-bike.
How much heavier is it?

keithmac

Guru
OP said it was 33kg so still within the realms of a bicycle I would say.

Plus as already been said sure rider weigh is just as important.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'll share this again:
https://www.bestelectricbikes.com/rad-power-bikes-radrunner-plus-ebike-review/
Weighs 33kg. An average electric bicycle weighs around 18-22kg.
Depending on the model and type of electric bike, e-bike weight limits are usually set in the range 100-140kg.
So an extra 13kg of bike and 13kg less 'with' the rider.
And these bikes go just as fast downhill: which is the top of the envelope for braking performance/requirement. What's 'power' got to do with it @boydj ?
It's entirely plausible that decent cable disc brakes (maybe the ones fitted) will do. But what decelleration torque do those brakes achieve?

classic33

Leg End Member
The testers can't tell you what brakes you require. Their job is to test the vehicle placed before them, passing or failing it. There seems to be no middle ground, advisories on an MOT. Just that it failed on certain parts. It's then up to the person to provide better, before presenting it for retesting.

You pay for each approval test, so it's in your interests to get it right as early as possible. It'll not be classed as an ebike/e-assist under the current regulations. And it won't be allowed on the road until it has passed, meaning a trailer will be required.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom