Can anyone help with braking system information required for my 1000w motor Ebike please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Clearly hydraulic disc brakes will offer more modulation and more 'power' for less finger/hand force but is this necessary? This is a 33kg e-motorbike with a rider load of (say) max 100kg and will likely not be going at more than 20mph/32kph except downhills.
So for 'type approval' the brakes need to consider the worst case: downhill at maybe 30mph (speed limited by early application of braking).
Is the Tektro MD-M300 disc brake (cabled operated) currently fitted fit for purpose (sufficient margin of effectiveness for type approval)?
Increasing the rotor (from 160mm dia) to 180 or 203 must offer more braking torque (directly proportional to the effective radius) for the same finger input force. Choice of pads will also offer an advantage: sold with organics but metal ceramic an option.
EBR - Tektro Brakes
Tektro, the most common brake you’ll see, makes a range of brakes. The list below starts with their best and ends with their entry level. Note they make three hydraulic brakes specifically rated for e-bikes.
E-Hydraulic:
Dorado –HD-E725/715/710 – E-bike specific, rated to stop bikes traveling at 28 MPH.
Auriga –HD-E530/525/500 – E-bike specific to speeds up to 20 MPH.
Tektro -HD-E350 - E-bike specific. New. rated to speeds of 15 MPH (?)
Cable:
Aquila –MD-M500
Aries –MD-M300
Tektro –M280

Last edited:
I hope you will be posting pictures of the bike when it's finished!

D

Deleted member 26715

I wonder if you have to come at this from a different direction, instead of trying to get the type approval information from Tektro, how about approaching other brake companies, as mentioned above Hope, maybe Shimano & seeing if they are able to provide the type of information you require on a set of their brakes, then consider changing your brakes to the type that you can get the information on.

Might not be the cheapest way to do it, but potentially less frustrating, a well worded email to them, might also get you help as they could use the resultant legal bike as a marketing tool. You just have to manage to get to the right person to engage in this, that's why a smaller company might be more helpful.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Except the braking torque of a disc brake as fitted - the M300 - is surely very simple data that Tektro should have and be prepared to share. You're right @Phaeton - this is a 'get the right person' thing. Doubt the OP wants to complicate this, nor (as you say) go to the expense of new brakes (let alone Hopes). Uprating to larger rotors seems a cheap effective way of meeting this requirement, with the fitted brakes.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
People seem to be assuming that this is a single bike the OP is talking about, my take on it is that the OP wants type approval so they can import and sell multiple bikes. Therefore, if they can work with what is on the bikes already they will not have to shell out extra costs for replacements.

D

Deleted member 26715

Uprating to larger rotors seems a cheap effective way of meeting this requirement, with the fitted brakes.
I don't see that at all, the issue is not whether the existing brakes work or not, (personally I wouldn't want cables brakes on any MTB but that's my preference) the issue is getting the correct documentation, you can upgrade the discs as much as you want if you don't have the paperwork then you're back to square one. But I do agree this is information you 'should' be able to get from Tektro, but should & can are different things.

People seem to be assuming that this is a single bike the OP is talking about, my take on it is that the OP wants type approval so they can import and sell multiple bikes. Therefore, if they can work with what is on the bikes already they will not have to shell out extra costs for replacements.
This is also a possibility, only the OP can tell us that

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
we had a meeting with DVSA on Monday and even they are not sure how to obtain this info

Im assuming the DVSA are aware of the minimum requirements needed for the brakes of that class of vehicle?

Perhaps contact manufacturers asking which of their products exceed these minimum requirements?

Good luck.

D

Deleted member 26715

Im assuming the DVSA are aware of the minimum requirements needed for the brakes of that class of vehicle?
That's a position that I would not be willing to take, having already presented 4 cars for the similar type of examination & taking another on the 13th. The examiners have a list of criteria to check, in this instance it maybe 'Does the presenter have documented proof that the brakes attached to the vehicle meet with the type approval for the type of vehicle presented' Yes the wording is often as woolly as that, it is not for the examiner to provide details of what that type of approval is, what the specification are, or test the said brakes to see if they comply, it is down to the presenter to prove it.
Good luck.
He'll need it, If I remember correctly (always a chance I don't) @classic33 has been through this several times trying to get a tricycle reclassified, but so far failed on each attempt.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's a position that I would not be willing to take, having already presented 4 cars for the similar type of examination & taking another on the 13th. The examiners have a list of criteria to check, in this instance it maybe 'Does the presenter have documented proof that the brakes attached to the vehicle meet with the type approval for the type of vehicle presented' Yes the wording is often as woolly as that, it is not for the examiner to provide details of what that type of approval is, what the specification are, or test the said brakes to see if they comply, it is down to the presenter to prove it.

He'll need it, If I remember correctly (always a chance I don't) @classic33 has been through this several times trying to get a tricycle reclassified, but so far failed on each attempt.
I have been, one pre-booked trip to the testing station, and being told they don't do pedal cycles. The others were trying to go down a similar route to this.

At the time the regulations didn't cover quadricycles, changed five years ago to include them. With it falling outside the regulations at the time, it couldn't be registered until it had passed the SVA. But it couldn't be tested until registered.

OP
OP
R

riffraff

It might help if you said what class of vehicle you are producing, and what the specs are that you are trying to meet. Aren't there standards for braking systems like EN, ISO etc?
Hi, there was no information given from DVSA as to the type of test required, just proof required that they are durable / suitable. They believe they are and I just need proof. I don't know if there is a way to test brakes? Im sure the manufacturer must have the info.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Hi, there was no information given from DVSA as to the type of test required, just proof required that they are durable / suitable. They believe they are and I just need proof. I don't know if there is a way to test brakes? Im sure the manufacturer must have the info.

Can the DVSA give you an example of proof they have accepted for similar electric bikes? Then you will know precisely what to ask of the manufacturer.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom