Can anyone help with braking system information required for my 1000w motor Ebike please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

riffraff

The current UK limit for a powered cycle is 250W and power cut-out above 15mph. Anything more than that will be classified as a motorcycle and will require insurance, VED and the appropriate approvals. It's highly unlikely that these limits are going to be changed, so if your bike is approved, it will be as a motorcycle.

Frankly, I believe that it would be dangerous for the riders and other road users for the bike as specified above to be treated as a bicycle.
I am aware of all of the above. Thankyou for taking the time to consider, we are working with DVSA who are happy with the ebike.

OP
OP
R

riffraff

The OP is not trying to get this e-bike approved "as a bicycle". As you say: "classified as a motorcycle and will require insurance, VED and the appropriate approvals." See the OP where he asked for help (which we've been unable to provide):
"clarification on braking systems on cables - seek manufacturer build specs and durability technical specifications! The brakes on my Ebike are Tektro Aries MD-M300 Aries and the it has a 1000w motor. Does anyone know how to work this out please?"
Thankyou, you are correct, we had a meeting with DVSA on Monday and even they are not sure how to obtain this info, I will keep trying with the brake supplier.
Thanks for your understanding and consideration
Regards
Janette

OP
OP
R

riffraff

Finally we get someone who recognises that their powerful ebike needs to be type approved but we still get people who can’t read the thread properly and come in to patronise.
Read the thread ffs.
ha ha - Im made of thick skin, its not an easy question and even DVSA were not sure how to find the info that they require to pass the bike for type approval, so I will persevere with the brake supplier.
Thankyou for your help!
Best regards
Janette

Ajax Bay

Guru
so I will persevere with the brake supplier.
Cable operated, the TRP Spyre is the mass-market world leader aiui. A pair would not be expensive and would bolt on instead of the Tektros. TRP are quite likely to be better at responding (on the technical side) as they are very much a 'disc brake' centred firm whereas Tektro is entry level lots of different stuff (and jolly good at that, don't get me wrong).

OP
OP
R

riffraff

Cable operated, the TRP Spyre is the mass-market world leader aiui. A pair would not be expensive and would bolt on instead of the Tektros. TRP are quite likely to be better at responding (on the technical side) as they are very much a 'disc brake' centred firm whereas Tektro is entry level lots of different stuff (and jolly good at that, don't get me wrong).
Thankyou, this is really interesting info! much appreciated.
I am going to give this a try.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
A few bizarrely unhelpful responses to your query from some quarters, riffraff - although some people have actually bothered to read and comprehend your opening post (and subsequent reiterations of your clear following of due process in getting the required approval for your bike).

I can't answer your query, but if I was in your shoes, I'd be over on the Pedelecs.co.uk forum (if you're not already), searching out someone who has been through the type approval process and can provide advice on exactly what type/level/quality of information has previously satisfied DVSA when granting these approvals, and on what format it was submitted in and how it was obtained.

Maybe someone there has already succeeded for a bike with your brake option(s), or perhaps they know of success in a different jurisdiction if your DVSA contacts are not aware of any approvals for bikes with such brakes in the UK. The bike Ajax Bay linked to must have gained US Class 2 approval for your brakes.....and presumably that would likely have involved the bike manufacturer submitting technical brake data to the US equivalent authority.

There are some very well-informed and helpful people over on that UK forum, and they would probably also have useful suggestions more generally on the process of securing the desired outcome with DVSA.

Pedelecs - Electric Bike Community

The Electric Bike Review forums are also a good (North American) resource:
Electric Bike Forums - Q&A, Help, Reviews and Maintenance (electricbikereview.com)

Last edited:

the snail

Guru
I think tektro and trp are the same company (Tektro Racing Products?)

Ajax Bay

Guru
After writing the post above it occured to me I wrongly took a 'road' angle whereas the OP would need a decent 'MTB' disc brake. Others will know the better options.

C R

Guru
After writing the post above it occured to me I wrongly took a 'road' angle whereas the OP would need a decent 'MTB' disc brake. Others will know the better options.
Genuine question, is there any difference between road and MTB disc calipers other than looks? I thought the difference was on the size of the discs.

OP
OP
R

riffraff

A few bizarrely unhelpful responses to your query from some quarters, riffraff - although some people have actually bothered to read and comprehend your opening post (and subsequent reiterations of your clear following of due process in getting the required approval for your bike).

I can't answer your query, but if I was in your shoes, I'd be over on the Pedelecs.co.uk forum (if you're not already), searching out someone who has been through the type approval process and can provide advice on exactly what type/level/quality of information has previously satisfied DVSA when granting these approvals, and on what format it was submitted in and how it was obtained.

Maybe someone there has already succeeded for a bike with your brake option(s), or perhaps they know of success in a different jurisdiction if your DVSA contacts are not aware of any approvals for bikes with such brakes in the UK. The bike Ajax Bay linked to must have gained US Class 2 approval for your brakes.....and presumably that would likely have involved the bike manufacturer submitting technical brake data to the US equivalent authority.

There are some very well-informed and helpful people over on that UK forum, and they would probably also have useful suggestions more generally on the process of securing the desired outcome with DVSA.

Pedelecs - Electric Bike Community

The Electric Bike Review forums are also a good (North American) resource:
Electric Bike Forums - Q&A, Help, Reviews and Maintenance (electricbikereview.com)
Thankyou very much for taking the time and effort to reply with understanding! I did read up before attempting Type approval and knew that it is almost impossible to get a pass on an ebike, mainly because the rules are old and need updating. The 1000w motor means its got perfect pulling power so perfect for couriering and food deliveries etc, not just speed.
From the first failed test with lots of fails on the list, I am down to just 3 points on the second test. I am determined to find the solutions and there have been some very useful tips on here. I will follow the links that you have provided and thank you again for the help!

Venod

Eh up
Genuine question, is there any difference between road and MTB disc calipers other than looks?

Cable pull, MTB callipers are designed for straight levers with more cable pull, I suspect the actuating arm on the calliper is longer on the MTB ones, I don't know if there is any other difference.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Genuine question, is there any difference between road and MTB disc calipers other than looks? I thought the difference was on the size of the discs.

Depends.

I'd recommend the OP looks to hydraulic MTB systems. Doesn't have to be massively expensive as I believe the Deore level brakes are very good for the money.

MTB brakes usually have bigger calipers = stronger braking.

Advantage with hydraulic is they are very 'light' to operate !

Top Bottom