Can anyone help with braking system information required for my 1000w motor Ebike please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

riffraff

Hello, can anyone help?
We have an Ebike that we are trying to get type approved & I have been asked to provide clarification on braking systems on cables - seek manufacturer build specs and durability technical specifications!
The brakes on my Ebike are Tektro Aries MD-M300 Aries and the it has a 1000w motor.
Does anyone know how to work this out please? I attach the Tektro specifications?
Thankyou!
F5251BD9-3943-42A4-B82C-AF31701E7271.png

iluvmybike

Über Member
That isn't a legal ebike under current law. Legal e-bikes are limited to a 250w motor max. What you have is classified as a motorbike and as such will need to meet motor bike specs I should imagine

OP
OP
R

riffraff

That isn't a legal ebike under current law. Legal e-bikes are limited to a 250w motor max. What you have is classified as a motorbike and as such will need to meet motor bike specs I should imagine
Hi, Thats why we are getting it type approved through DVSA, It will then have a license plate and require insurance and be legal on UK public roads.

OP
OP
R

riffraff

Thankyou for your reply, I am in UK.

OP
OP
R

riffraff

You're not getting type approval for a bike with a 1000w motor attached to 6bolt bicycle brakes
No, I have an ebike with Tektro Aries brakes and 1000w motor, both are great and the bike is fabulous, but to get it unrestricted and able to use on public land it needs to be type approved and I need to provide technical specifications to prove that the brakes are acceptable with this power of motor and I wondered if anyone can help with this? there is no doubt that the brakes are suitable.

Ajax Bay

Guru
To be fair, the 33kg might mean the total load was only 110kg even with you as a sylph like rider aboard. Plenty of road bikes with FLAB cycle topped riders are perfectly safe with rim brakes, and the motor is 'limited' to 20mph so not going any faster than a normal bike would - upper envelope braking parameter. But TRP Spyres are the sensible choice if (as I am on the next build) want to stick to 'normal' STIs and therefore cable operated brakes of the disc variety. I'm using 160/180 rotors which are overkill (but it's what the wheels I found came with).

Ajax Bay

Guru
Stop being so grumpy. What has 'legality' got to do with the OP's question?
Anyway 'type approval' implies that the OP is seeking to achieve that as a motor bike, as @iluvmybike has caveated and @glasgowcyclist has inferred upthread.
"In the UK, the Vehicle Certification Agency is the designated UK Type Approval Authority for automotive products "

Last edited:
Top Bottom