Can I make a touring bike a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Isn't a touring bike usually a roadbike?

Do you mean one for racing? If so strip off racks etc and add skinnier slicker tyres if the rims allow? Maybe look at the gearing? Remove some spacers from the headset to drop the bars?

What bike is it?

vickster

Legendary Member
Most road bikes I've seen only have 2 rings on the front
That's just the current fashion...plenty of roadbikes have triples, especially ones that live in hilly areas

If you are planning on racing, as above, get a race bike

If you want a bike for long days on the roads (or indeed shorter utility rides, commuting etc), then a tourer is a perfectly adequate option and probably better than a race bike

Ignore the labels from marketing teams

The only point of incompatibility is the spacing of the rear dropouts ( over locknut distance). Touring bikes usually use the MTB standard of 135mm rather than the roadbike standard of 130mm. You cant fit shop-bought road wheels to a touring bike but touring and hybrid wheels willl fit.
If you are happy with the wheels you can strip it to bare essentials but a better plan would be to use it as a winter training bike with full bolt-on mudguards.
Some expedition touring bikes are quite hefty, other ones are midweight and weigh as much as they need to but no more.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
As vickster said, just strip it of anything practical and useful. If you're dead set on following fashion then just remove the granny ring and set the stop screws to limit the front mechs travel.
Reversing the headset spacers and /or fitting an adjustable stem will allow you to slam the bars for that aero backbreaking position. Doing so might limit the amount of cable pull if cantilever brakes are fitted though.
As a touring bike, I'd imagine you'll be limited to going as narrow as 28mm tyres, although why anyone in their right mind would deliberately fit narrower harsher tyres is beyond me.
Just one more thing, if your tourer has the same tyre and mudguard clearances as my Vantage, without the mudguards it'll look completely ridiculous. Butt ugly in fact. Just my opinion.

I am looking at a winter project, I have seen what I think is a touring bike and make it a road bike, what would I need to do?
... have a rethink?

I'm sorry - that sounds harsh, but I'm genuinely puzzled why you would want to put a whole lot of work into, effectively, downgrading the touring bike, only to get a "not-quite-a-road-bike"? Heavier? Less agile? Less responsive?

Top Bottom