Can I/Should I, put slicks on my hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
OK the tires say, Cheng Shin tire 37- 622 (700 x 35 C) (50 - 75 PSI).

I am sure they will be the cheapest you can get. I assume they are 35mm?
The "37-622"suggests 37mm but the "700 x 35 C" suggests 35mm. But yes, probably the cheapest tyres the makers could find.

Actually, maybe not, Cheng Shin seems like a big company and apparently owns the Maxxis brand -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheng_Shin_Rubber

Alan O

Über Member
I forgot to mention that! The Marathon plus is renowned for being a pig to fit (incredibly tight) and ludicrously heavy/slow in use. They are also a bit pricy at £25-30 each, but they have legendary puncture resistance status.

I will take the 'slow' claim with a pinch of salt because they seem smooth enough and speed is mostly down to the engine but I did once pick one off the rack while browsing in a bike shop and it nearly broke my arm! Strewth, it was heavy. I had to double check I hadn't mistakenly picked up a twin pack and getting that much mass up to speed in stop-start traffic is going to take some serious energy.
I have Marathon Greenguard rather than Marathon Plus, but they're similarly quite heavy. But the biggest difference to me, I think, is their thicker and more rigid sidewalls. They're great for puncture protection, but the thinner walls of my Gatorskins seem to make the ride more comfortable and less tiring even with the Gatorskins at higher pressures.

OP
OP
A

andyR00

It's difficult to decide when you have no experience. I'm fancying 28mm though, 30mm don't seem to be a thing or are a rare size. Certainly didn't see any of in the several tires I looked at. Tread wise, very light, not pure slicks though. Some traction.

My bike has front suspension which I can lock on or off which makes any off road stuff a lot easier.

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5310354, member: 45"]I've run several different sets of Contis for years without a single puncture.[/QUOTE]
Including the Ultrasports?

vickster

Legendary Member
It's difficult to decide when you have no experience. I'm fancying 28mm though, 30mm don't seem to be a thing or are a rare size. Certainly didn't see any of in the several tires I looked at. Tread wise, very light, not pure slicks though. Some traction.

My bike has front suspension which I can lock on or off which makes any off road stuff a lot easier.
You’ll see little difference between 32 and 28s. The 32s will be more comfortable on rough surfaces and will probably look better on your bike than skinnies

Tyres are consumables, not that costly and can be replaced easily enough if you want to go smaller or larger down the line

Alan O

Über Member
[QUOTE 5310380, member: 45"]It does depend on the tyre. I've had 32s that looked and rode more like 28s, and 32s that felt like 35s. I think it's trial and error, but I change tyres so rarely that I can never remember the comparisons.[/QUOTE]
Yep, I think differences in tyre wall thickness/stiffness can make a bigger difference than 1 or 2mm in width.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
[QUOTE 5310380, member: 45"]It does depend on the tyre. I've had 32s that looked and rode more like 28s, and 32s that felt like 35s. I think it's trial and error, but I change tyres so rarely that I can never remember the comparisons.[/QUOTE]
My 32mm Randonneurs seemed to be dimensionally very close to the 28mm Conti's they replaced, while the 35mm Randonneurs seem slose to the old 35mm Shwalbes (which are actually 37mm). Go figure? :wacko:

OneArmedBandit

OP are you after cheap as possible up front, or long term?

If you get Gatorskins or Marathon Pluses they are more expensive up front than a cheaper tyre, but with a much better compound so they will last a long time. You also should enjoy the tyre more, and the puncture resistant comes are less likely to get a cut or sidewall failure. My rear Gatorskins probably last 7- months of 300k-ish a week cycling on road, trails and glass strewn cycle paths. Front about twice as long. Pull them off when they start to puncture, by which time they look like a dart board.

They may be £25-ish up front, but if they last much longer money well spent IMO. You could always look on eBay for part worns, there are usually a few nearly new from people who tried and didn't like.

They are a love/hate thing though.

OP
OP
A

andyR00

My goal is triathlons next year. So train on this bike for a few months then upgrade to a road bike next year.

Punctures aren't really an issue I repaired one a couple of days ago.

I am after speed and power consumption. Trying to squeeze the max out of my old bike. That will entail;

Clean it up, degrease and oil chain/detailer.

Fit bar ends.

Thinner/slicker tires.

Adjust brakes and gears.

Optimise saddle and handlebars.

Fit a LCD speedometer.

Remove paniers.

Fit clipless pedals.

I believe you can even replace the wheel bearings and fill them up 3/4 with decent grease etc. I doubt I will get round to that however.

It's kind of a hobby and this good weather has brought on a bit of OCD. Whether it will last though...

I went for a swim last week, first time in years and forgot how enjoyable it is.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My goal is triathlons next year. So train on this bike for a few months then upgrade to a road bike next year.
Put on the heaviest, draggiest tyres you can find then get out there and train. Once you have spent the winter pulling around on those you will be STRONG and will fly on the new bike.

No need to thank me for dispensing this invaluable advice so freely :thanks:

Top Bottom