Can I use SRAM chain with Shimano?- Update 17th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Please bear with me with these questions. I know I should have bought a new bike but I enjoy fiddling with these.
My Triban 540 has 105 group set, 11 speed. I have now replaced its rear cassette to 11-36. Thank you all for your advice. Now I need to change the chain.
Halfords (because I have got a gift card !) has these two choices

SRAM PC 1110 SolidPin PowerLock Chain (114 links) for £ 13.75 or
Shimano CN-HG601/SLX M7000 Chain QL 11 Speed, 116L for £25

Many websites says that they are compatible. But of course I value your advice and suggestions.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Yes they are I only use SRAM

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Ok got it. Thanks. I will find one for 9-11 chains. My bikes are in that range.

The actual size of the chains for whatever speed are the same pitch and width. So a 9 speed for instance will be the same for Shimano, Campagnolo or sram. The pin does vary if you have a Campagnolo chain though, so you will need a compatible splitter.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Nooo... never the 2 shall mix. It's like letting carbon bikes go out in the rain. Give me your bike, and I will look after it properly, saving you the expense of making a mahoosive mistake.

(This post is not intended to be taken seriously, unless you want to.)

Alex321

Veteran
All 11 speed chains should be OK with any 11 speed drivetrain, regardless of manufacturer.

As somebody above said, I prefer KMC chains - which aren't even particularly expensive, but aren't available form Halfords, so you wouldn't be able to use your gift card.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
SRAM chains are not necessarily the best - evidence not available ^_^
Slightly amended - both the below are SRAM PC1110s with under 1500 & 1100 miles respectively. Mind you, for around a tenner or less (as per link above) they may be worth it for some.
Caught this in time
Chain problem - Spa (1).JPG

Didn't spot this until it broke
Broken chain - Ribble.jpg

Top Bottom