Can I use SRAM chain with Shimano?- Update 17th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most of "the bikes" run KMC X chains, best bike Dura Ace, FS MTB is running SRAM as I got a good deal on them and it's running two in rotation as when used currently, it get's knee high in shoot, but not so often. KMC definately for the commuter and it's the mid version.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
All 11 speed chains should be OK with any 11 speed drivetrain, regardless of manufacturer.

er no!

there are two types of chains for "modern" stuff:

Those stated SRAM & Shimano compatible interchange with each other.

Campagnolo (and those stated Campag compatible) chains are specific to Campag groupsets

Alex321

Veteran
er no!

Campagnolo (and those stated Campag compatible) chains are specific to Campag groupsets

I'm not convinced of that.

And nor are these people
https://bike.bikegremlin.com/1220/1-bicycle-chains-compatibility/
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/buying-guides/best-bike-chain

And looking at sales sites, many 11 speed chains claim to be compatible with all three brands of groupset.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have KMC X9 on a reel, which worked out at £5 per 116 links.

This is fine..... in theory.

The problem with excessive bulk buying is that you do get a great cost/unit price, but more often than not, for the private buyer/user, you will struggle with storage for a few years before you realise that you don't actually need the items you have bought anymore as your requirements have changed so that roll of chain you bought to last a lifetime (25/50 chains?) is now surplus and not representing such excellent value and you are also stuck with the faff of trying to sell said surplus into a market that is also not really in great need of the outdated stock.

I think the best we can do with bike consumables like chain etc is to watch the market and buy 2/3/4 units at a time when their are good offers on or the market is slow and things are priced more keenly.

How old are you Ming? I think there might be a chance you run out of time before you run out of chain!

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
He is not old (doesn't look 'old') and rides stupendous mileage every year - maybe 10 chains a year (edit: 540"py).
You make a good point. Rolls of chain are LBS territory.

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
er no!

IIRC Campag became compatible at 11 speed ,

Top Bottom