Can someone work it out for me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't think my cycle computer's average speed reading is accurate. It says that i averaged 11.9 mph today. The others on the run said their readings varied from 12mph to 13.7mph. The distance covered was 55.418 miles in 4 hours 37 minutes 46 seconds.

I worked it out with a pencil......

12mph

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I thought i might've been erasing the speed and time details without rubbing out the average speed details, making that previous average affect the current,but no, when you press the button all the previous ride details disappear.The computer is new and naff! It gave a maximum speed reading of 85.7 mph today:rolleyes:

It sounds like your computer is working out the actual average speed (the number is correct) but the one that came out at 13.7 mph is the average speed while moving.
my 16/17 year old cateye (cordless 2) has options to choose between averge and moving average, so I bet yours does too. If you don't have the instructions, turn to google. They are very likely online.

Average including stops is a useful measure, but if you are riding in a group and can't control the stops, switch to moving average.

Edit - we posted at the same time ....
It gave a maximum speed reading of 85.7 mph today:rolleyes:

did you keep the receipt? My v. old cateye seems better.

Ihatehills

I used to have a Raleigh computer a few years back, it was wireless between the magnet sensor and the unit itself and there was a certain spot on on one of my regular routes that interfered with it somehow and always registered a max speed of 76 mph and threw out the other data as well. The same spot used to cause interference with the car radio as well, quite spooky.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
my 16/17 year old cateye (cordless 2) has options to choose between averge and moving average, so I bet yours does too. If you don't have the instructions, turn to google. They are very likely online.

Average including stops is a useful measure, but if you are riding in a group and can't control the stops, switch to moving average.

Edit - we posted at the same time ....

did you keep the receipt? My v. old cateye seems better.

I'm a stickler for keeping receipts, but this time i seem to have lost it. Anyway, this is the computer. http://answers.argos.co.uk/answers/1493-en_gb/product/3335260/questions.htm

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
11.97723 mph
approx
That isn't an approximation to the actual speed, it's an approximation to the result of the calculation, and is artificially precise! (Neither the time or distance are measured anywhere near accurately enough. The approximate speed was 12.0 mph. Any further decimal places would be unreliable and unnecessary.)

Sharky

Guru
If you are riding in a group and are using the "Auto Pause" function, you will get variations in average speed. The faster riders will get to the tops of hills quicker and then probably stop waiting for the slower ones to catch up. His computer will pause, while the slow rider's will carry on ticking. But you should all be close on total distance.

I'm a stickler for keeping receipts, but this time i seem to have lost it. Anyway, this is the computer. http://answers.argos.co.uk/answers/1493-en_gb/product/3335260/questions.htm
lol

Apparently it was being sold as wireless, because
The Challenge 14 Function Wireless Bike Computer's magnet, which clips onto the wheel, is picked up wirelessly by the sensor. The sensor, to the computer part, is wired. My apologies if the title was misleading in this regards.
I'd like to see what a wired computer looks like, with that definition.

Most people seem pretty happy with it, maybe there is something wrong with the way you have it set up?

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
If you are riding in a group and are using the "Auto Pause" function, you will get variations in average speed.

Agreed - assuming overall distance is the same as the other riders, and the computer is correctly calibrated, auto pause variations sound like a good candidate for the cause of the discrepancy.

The problem being that some computers will take longer to register that you have stopped moving than others - so every time the group stops, you are adding, say, two seconds to your time compared to the other riders. Over the course of a long ride, those two seconds here and there could make quite a difference.

I used to have a Raleigh computer a few years back, it was wireless between the magnet sensor and the unit itself and there was a certain spot on on one of my regular routes that interfered with it somehow and always registered a max speed of 76 mph and threw out the other data as well. The same spot used to cause interference with the car radio as well, quite spooky.

Were you doing your cycling off the coast of Florida? :okay:

biking_fox

Guru
YOu have to set the wheel diameter accurately. With your weight on the bike as even a fraction of a mm tyre deflation will change the diameter enough to make a difference on a long ride. (think how many tyre rotations occur!).

I'm sure yours is perfectly set, but that may not be the case of your fellow riders. (although to be out by 10% is quite bad.)

Top Bottom