Can Tyson Fury win?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SD1

It is the only "sport" (and I use that phrase loosely) where you go out with the express intent of giving your opponent brain damage. It's barbaric and says a lot about those who enjoy it...
I suddenly like boxing!

Maybe it would work if knocking one's opponent out meant disqualification? If it, y'know, doesn't really matter either way?
I don't think anyone posted that. Maybe you've had too many knocks to the head during cribbage?

I can't understand walking football for over 50's, over 50 thats not even old these days....

LOL, me neither. I am still playing fitba and although a good deal slower can still manage ok against guys half my age. I am aiming at getting fitter so should be firing on all cylinders by the time I get to 50 and not slowing down! There is much to be said for "old age and treachery"

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
In neither of those sports was the intent to knock someone out. It is in boxing.

If you say it's not unique, name one other sport where the intent is to knock your opponent out. Should be simple, if boxing isn't unique...
It's easy when you ignore facts and move the goalpost to suit isn't it.

The intent isn't necessarily to knock people out in boxing, didn't happen last night yet there was still a decisive result.

The fact remains boxing isn't unique in explosive contact and percussive injury however you try to manipulate the discussion.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Well there's this:

If the real intent is to win points, and a knockout is "a bonus" (interesting choice of word), as IOTCB says:

then why not make it a disadvantage instead and remove the risk of it? Contacts in fencing bouts win points, but no one gets a bonus for actually stabbing their opponent.

The fact is that some people just like to see one person beat another person unconscious, and it disgusts me, as I believe it does you too.

Good post - I too find it odd that a knockout would be classed as a 'bonus'. A few posts back it was described as a 'dream result' - much as I am loathe to swear on here but FFS how is battering someone's brain into unconsciousness a dream result? :wacko:

No you just don't understand combat sports, yes a knockout is the dream result but the majority of fighters train to win over the distance of the fight, the goal is to out point your opponent, most of the work done in the gym other than fitness is to jab and move then defence, thats the reality...theres a lot more to fighting than knocking someone out...

Last edited:

martint235

Dog on a bike
That's the nature of a public forum I'm afraid - people can comment on anything they like, and are free disagree with you. You speak as if the world of boxing is a cosy little private one that does no one any harm, but it's not. It's a multi-million-pound industry that encourages young people, mostly boys, to think they can fight their way to fame and fortune, when in reality hardly any of them do and the ones who do don't emerge unscathed, physically or psychologically. It is a world that many people find quite sickening, and if you like it you will just have to put up with people expressing an opinion in opposition to that.
I'm not going to get in to the debate about whether a multi-million pound industry built around people that want to do it selling a sport to people who want to watch it is right or wrong.

However when you mention young people, there are opinions that the discipline and training involved in boxing and the fact that it gives them something to do, can help to keep young, particularly urban, people away from crime etc.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Interesting debate on relativism, given that Tyson Fury himself would almost certainly be involved in illegal bare-knuckle fighting had he not been encouraged into amateur and then professional boxing.

I am not a "boxing fan", I also don't watch combat sports on a regular basis. I have NEVER watched an MMA fight for example. But have competed. It's one of those kind of sports to me. I can understand competing, I did. I often can't understand what there is to watch. A bit like cycling.

Boxing is unique still amongst combat sports, MMA, and Muay Thai (the 2 other major striking sports), don't have close to the same amount of head trauma. In these sports, hits to the head aren't very common. The body, legs, and arms gets a bigger beating, the ones that do land clean on the head in these sports often do result in a knock out.

It's fairly well established that the risk in boxing isn't the knock outs, but the lengthy time of repeated blows. Which by the nature of the rules and the sport which makes it dangerous.

I wouldn't do it, but as a participant in other combat sports, I understand why people would. I don't see an issue with 2 consenting people competing in a martial arts contest. After all, which other martial arts do you ban? Karate, Tae-Kwon Do, Muay Thai, Aikido? There are lots of striking arts, and live training (against an active opponent) forms part of all of them.

This is something that doesn't affect the majority of people in their everyday lives, nor does it harm anybody else other than the participants. Children competing made me think though. Many also grow up thinking that they can kick a ball to fame and fortune, but most don't. Any career that draws fame and fortune suffers the same problems (apart from the likely brain damage).

But lets face it, the amount of brain injuries in boxing is absolutely tiny. I'd say that a child starting boxing, is safer than a child cycling on a road. Nearly all deaths have been in professional boxing, amateur level boxing in which most participants are, the risk isn't there.

If you're basing your idea of what really happens in combat sports, on what happens in a professional fight, you're mistaken. If you're so inclined, check out your local boxing club, and see what really does go on. It certainly isn't all about smashing somebodies head in.

Professional boxing has dangers that are unique to PROFESSIONAL boxing. Those dangers are not the same as in amateur boxing, but these aren't children involved in this. They're adults making their own free choice. You can't just enter a professional ring and fight, it's really not straight forward to get a license to box under professional rules.

However when you mention young people, there are opinions that the discipline and training involved in boxing and the fact that it gives them something to do, can help to keep young, particularly urban, people away from crime etc.

Yet young people boxing, are not exposed to the same risks and rules as professional boxing. Heavier gloves (more padding, slower fist speed), head gear, shorter rounds, fewer rounds. The number of amateurs that ever get good enough to even get a professional license are tiny.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I managed to watch most of it online. Lived up to the boring match up it was always going to be.
That bring said Fury is full of character and now Britain has a unified heavyweight champion.
In my opinion he'll make 2 or 3 title defenses before AJ disposes of him at the end of next year

And let's face it, what's so awful about a bit of brain damage eh? I don't think any more needs to be said.

But the only people that participate, are adults that fully understand the risks associated with professional boxing.

Even looking here http://www.bbbofc.com/content/applying-be-boxer

"Many young people may be attracted to the sport by the lure of big money and it must be realised from the outset that very few boxers make it to the very top. "

"The Board expects that all applicants have had experience in amateur boxing. Amateur records are checked and anybody contemplating a professional career who has not already boxed is advised to contact an amateur club in their area."

" the applicant will be required to demonstrate his/her skills in a gym assessment prior to further consideration"

"
Following a successful interview and recommendation from your Area Council, Head Office will request the following for consideration:-

- Medical with opticians report
- MRI/MRA brain scan report
- HIV blood test result
- Hepatitis C blood test result
- Hepatitis B surface antigen blood test result
- Evidence of commencement of Hepatitis B vaccinations"

It's not something that you just walk into to try it out. There's less than 1000 people in Britian that hold a professional boxing license. You'd save far more lives banning cycling.

Hip Priest

Veteran
If boxing became 'touch boxing' then it wouldn't be anywhere near as popular. The danger is part of the thrill. Just like with motorsport I guess.

Klitschko Fury wasn't a hugely entertaining fight, but I was glad to see the big man triumph. In a world where most sportsmen are highly-polished automatons, he certainly stands out as a unique character.

Top Bottom