Can Tyson Fury win?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
If you're going to be pedantic about stuff, a little checking is often useful. The Broadway Theatre is in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. I think the clue is in the name of the borough somewhere

Essex postcode. If you're going to be a dick about it.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It's boxing's dirty secret. Thousands of ex-boxers with significant long term brain damage - and some of them very young.

The medical evidence is clear... and the longitudinal studies have been undertaken. If governments had any balls they'd ban boxing, but money talks - and there's a lot of dirty money in boxing.

Yes, I agree.

It's been cited up-thread that other sports cause long term problems too - which I accept. The difference with boxing is that harming the opponent is intentional and not accidental - it's a sport that panders to primitive blood lust. Not for me I'm afraid.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Yes, I agree.

It's been cited up-thread that other sports cause long term problems too - which I accept. The difference with boxing is that harming the opponent is intentional and not accidental - it's a sport that panders to primitive blood lust. Not for me I'm afraid.
Again, I'd disagree, heading is an integral part of football and was when the balls were heavy leather. The line of scrimmage in American Football and the means particularly by which running backs advance their bodies and the ball - the clashing of heads and bodies is integral here too and the knowledge of the consequence is clear, players can be banned for time/games for concussive injury there are specific medical teams on hand.

The intent is not to harm but to put to the floor or to create a space for a colleague to exploit by hard, direct, explosive physical contact, there is nothing accidental about it and players are now voting with their feet.

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/201...retires-says-next-hit-could-possibly-kill-me/

Don't let your dislike of boxing blind you to the fact it is not unique in being deliberately, if not wilfully, harmful as you make out.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I think this weekend has probably given us the SPOTY winners with Tyson Fury for sports personality and the Davis Cup tennis as best team.

Levo-Lon

Guru

Nope.

Still waiting for @shouldbeinbed to back up his claim.
I'm fairly sure there are other combat sports apart from boxing.

And other sports where the impact element of the game results in head injuries comparable to boxing.

To be honest I don't think I could watch a "live" boxing match, the brutality of it is somewhat 'lessened' via TV; I have mixed feelings about boxing and I'm a hypocritical nobber as I am quite a peaceful person that shies away from violence. I may need to re-think my view on boxing and whether it is acceptable as a sport or not.

In what other sport do you intentionally go out to knock your opponent out (and in so doing inflict brain injury)?

shouldbeinbed suggested that boxing isn't unique but has yet to provide us with the name of a single sport (and we won't include derivatives of boxing) where the intent is to knock your oponent out.
There are other combat sports, not sure if they are all derivatives of boxing or not.

I get where you are coming from. I know it's "wrong". But I also enjoyed boxing many years ago. I had not watched boxing for years until last night, what I saw last night indicated very little chance of anyone at risk of any kind of injury apart from the viewers banging their heads in boredom! ;)

No you just don't understand combat sports, yes a knockout is the dream result but the majority of fighters train to win over the distance of the fight, the goal is to out point your opponent, most of the work done in the gym other than fitness is to jab and move then defence, thats the reality...theres a lot more to fighting than knocking someone out...

True. It might seem that the KO is the goal but it's not. I still tend to shy away from boxing now tho. And other combat sports.

Top Bottom