Can Tyson Fury win?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Not sure how you ought to classify these sports tbh but I put them in the same category as dog fighting and cock fighting - primitive & barbaric.

Lars_engstrum

December the 12th, McGregor is going to be one of the most exiting nights of combat in combat history?
Also vs McGregor.
These guys have a real dislike for each other and are the top one and two at the weight.
This is going to be explosive.
McGregor to win, his skills are ridiculous, have a look at some of his fights on the tube. This guy is a real showman, quick witted and pretty darn cool.
Out for a fry up with the kid then cycleops race.
Looking forward to this one....
Lars Percival Engstrum.

Not sure how you ought to classify these sports tbh but I put them in the same category as dog fighting and cock fighting - primitive & barbaric.

I have fought competitively (Muay thai), though certainly not at or anywhere near a professional level.

Competitive martial arts is a strange thing, and one of the most relaxing things I have ever done. When you have an opponent in front of you, whose sole objective is to hurt you, or knock you unconscious. You will be surprised how all worries, and stress disappears, as your 100% focus is on 1 task, staying up, and putting somebody else down.

There's a LOT of technique in fighting, a lot in correct guard, and blocks. A lot in throwing a good punch, knee, or elbow, etc. But the real mastery in fight is in ring craft, the people that can train others for 2 rounds to drop a guard. Then exploit it. There's a lot of intelligence, and strategy in martial arts.

While you're fighting, your simultaneously playing a game of chess with your opponent. I don't expect you to understand, as it's not something that can be experienced by watching.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

There is less exploitation, more free will and more reward for vastly less chance of finishing crippled or dead with a human climbing into a fight ring than animals being tossed in for peoples entertainment.

Boxing et al isn't particularly to my taste but the others you mention are just the product of sick minded B**tards who should be strung up.

SpokeyDokey

I have fought competitively (Muay thai), though certainly not at or anywhere near a professional level.

Competitive martial arts is a strange thing, and one of the most relaxing things I have ever done. When you have an opponent in front of you, whose sole objective is to hurt you, or knock you unconscious. You will be surprised how all worries, and stress disappears, as your 100% focus is on 1 task, staying up, and putting somebody else down.

There's a LOT of technique in fighting, a lot in correct guard, and blocks. A lot in throwing a good punch, knee, or elbow, etc. But the real mastery in fight is in ring craft, the people that can train others for 2 rounds to drop a guard. Then exploit it. There's a lot of intelligence, and strategy in martial arts.

While you're fighting, your simultaneously playing a game of chess with your opponent. I don't expect you to understand, as it's not something that can be experienced by watching.

You can rationalise it how you like but two people in a ring trying to hurt each other is pretty loathsome to me.

Presumably when you were fighting you were trying to knock your opponent unconscious - I find that both appalling & pitiable.

Presumably when you were fighting you were trying to knock your opponent unconscious - I find that both appalling & pitiable.

Hurt as in hit, yes. Hurt as in permanently injure, no. There is no intent to cause any permanent or serious injury. It is the last thing you want to do.

Yes, it's sport. No hatred, or anger. Sport. 2 people, adequately trained, and medically examined. With a referee to ensure the competitors safety. Sport.

We even had a chat and a pint after.

SpokeyDokey

Hurt as in hit, yes. Hurt as in permanently injure, no. There is no intent to cause any permanent or serious injury. It is the last thing you want to do.

Yes, it's sport. No hatred, or anger. Sport. 2 people, adequately trained, and medically examined. With a referee to ensure the competitors safety. Sport.

We even had a chat and a pint after.

How is someone trained to knock someone out without causing any long-term trauma?

As for preventative measures eg "with a referee to ensure competitor safety' I guess you'd have to ask this lot about that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Deaths_due_to_injuries_sustained_in_boxing

...correction: you'd need to asked their nearest & dearest.

martint235

Dog on a bike
[PEDANT] Warren got shot outside the Broadway theatre in Barking which isn't even in London, it's Essex [/PEDANT]
If you're going to be pedantic about stuff, a little checking is often useful. The Broadway Theatre is in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. I think the clue is in the name of the borough somewhere

How is someone trained to knock someone out without causing any long-term trauma?

As for preventative measures eg "with a referee to ensure competitor safety' I guess you'd have to ask this lot about that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Deaths_due_to_injuries_sustained_in_boxing

...correction: you'd need to asked their nearest & dearest.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_footballers_who_died_while_playing - football
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_cyclists_who_died_during_a_race - cycle racing

Like all sports, accidents do happen. There's no point pretending they don't. But the numbers are small in comparison to the number of competitors.

The aim of the game is to win. The aim isn't to make a child parentless, or for a parent to lose their child. That never is the aim, and it would be silly to act like it is. When you see boxers on TV, shouting about how they're going to knock them out. It's a show, it's for TV, it's to sell tickets.

There are risks in boxing that don't exist in other combat sports. Knockouts aren't extremely common in boxing, and due to the rules, the head gets repeated trauma. This is tried to be controlled in professional boxing by regular brain scans.

It is a sport, a game, no different than cycle racing, or hockey. Like other contact sports, Rugby for example. They're tough contact sports, but the last thing you want to do is seriously injure a competitor.

Top Bottom