Can you convert a 26" MTB to a retro drop handlebar tourer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This might interest you:

Many thanks, that had a lot of extra information that I'd have missed...

You mentioned that you'd been looking on eBay, have you been looking for parts on ebay klienanziegan as well?

Lots of bike stuff to be found there and no hassle of trying to win auctions.

That's been my main source so far. I'm just looking for now until I get a good idea of how much bikes cost. It's can also be a bit difficult to see important details like how the rear mech is attached or where cables go...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Use mountain drops?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I was just thinking a bit more about this. I have a pair of drop handlebars downstairs that I may be willing to sell. I need to measure them again, but I remember that they were a small diameter (28mm?) so I might not want them. There only 4 years old and not seen to much use. Shame you need 26" wheels, I've a pair of 700c wheels downstairs, with Deore 135mm hubs in them, that need a new home.

I was also having a look through klienanziegan for bar end shifters, and there was a couple of reasonable priced ones there. https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-lenkerendschalthebel/k0 .

However, with Bar End shifters, you'd also need brake levers. With STI levers you have brake and Gear changers combined, so saving yourself some cash. There's a really good pair here: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/sti-hebel-shimano-sora-105-ultegra-bremsschalthebel-2x9-fach/772358616-217-9184.

Remember with any drop bar levers you'd probably need a Travel Agent to make them compatible with v brakes.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thanks for that link. You mentioned that you were able to get inexpensive bar ends. I've been searching for ages for these but only seem to find very expensive versions, even for friction shifters. Did you just happen to find the right set, or is there a search term that helps?
As it happens i got them off the CTC forum sales section,second hand .

Are you going to be running disc brakes, canti, v brakes or mini v ?
cantis and mini v use the same cable pull as road brifters so you can get away with just changing the front mech, my bike is disc so my set up meant i dont have to change to much.

I'd be using V-Brakes, partly because of my slightly silly need to keep everything on all of our bikes standard. I've found a shop in Germany offers V-Brake compatible drop handlebar levers, But I'm intrigued by the 'Only need to change the front mech' comment. Our plan is to use bar end or bottom bar friction shifters, which I thought would mean we can use the same mechs because there's no problem with spacing. Is this a correct assumption?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'd be using V-Brakes, partly because of my slightly silly need to keep everything on all of our bikes standard. I've found a shop in Germany offers V-Brake compatible drop handlebar levers, But I'm intrigued by the 'Only need to change the front mech' comment. Our plan is to use bar end or bottom bar friction shifters, which I thought would mean we can use the same mechs because there's no problem with spacing. Is this a correct assumption?
I was referring to the changes you would need to make if you planned to use road brifters with cantis or mini v`s.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tektro-rl520-drop-bar-brake-lever/
the above are cheaper , not sure about postage costs though.

I'd be using V-Brakes, partly because of my slightly silly need to keep everything on all of our bikes standard.

Not sillly. I too am standardising on V brakes - have upgraded a bike to them from old fashioned cantis. And just finished "downgrading" one with hydraulic rim brakes to them. If I'd known what I know now I wouldn't have passively gone along with Paul Hewitt putting (admitedly more modern) cantis on my 700c tourer with road brake pads.

I like the simplicity and good-enough stopping of V brakes. If I can fit them from scratch anyone can.

They are also very cheap and easily replaceable.

It's my understanding that all Shimano's V brakes are functionally pretty much as good as each other and that the only differences are cosmetic and gram shaving. The levers are all good as well - in fact I took some top-of-the-range V levers off a bike and fitted some costing £12 instead as I thought they looked better/were more functional.

All my bikes are flat bar.

yadder

Not that expensive

I paid £20 for an Avalanche 2.0 frame off fleebay
Wow. Even for poor Ukraine its cheap.

KneesUp

Guru
I have a rigid MTB converted to drop bars. I have bar end shifters, which I find much easier to use than downtube ones, even though I grew up with downtube shifters and have never had 'brifters' It has the standard front mech (from 1990) - I just move it up or down the seat tube depending on what chainset I have on it (I've run it with 42-32-22, 52-42-38 and 48-38-28 and it's been fine) It has a newer rear mech than came with it becuse I could never get the old one to index properly, which I put down to wear. However, it still doesn't index properly, and on closer inspection it's because the hanger is slightly out of line. I just use friction shifting, but will sort it out eventually. Obviously with friction shifting there is never any worry about compatiility but I think the Shimano spacing on road and MTB is the same up to and including 8 speed.

I run cantilevers because the bike came with them, but as I've changed them anyway because the adjutment was limited on the 1990s ones, I should have swapped to V brakes. Tektro RL520s are the levers you need for V brakes.

You might fine the fit a bit odd. Everyone says you will be too stretched out, but I have odd proportions (long body / short legs) so I like mine - but if you want the bars to be higher I'd suggest a steep stem. My bike has a 1" threaded headset so I bought a Genetic quill extender / ahead converter and worked from there. I had an adjustable stem for a while so I could try out a few positions before buying a fixed stem.

The bike is comfortable and very useful - I commute on mine and it feels a lot less delicate than my lightweight bike. I have a rack on the back but it could also take one on the front with p-clips. It feels slow-ish, but then it has got heavy, puncture proof tyres on, and generally has getting on for 10kg of lock, laptop, change of clothes etc on the back.

We're currently looking for frames: I found a nice lugged steel frame with the attachments we need and am unfortunate 1990's colour combination, but the cables un along the top bar meaning we need to get brifters. As the bike will cost about €140 I don't really want to spend hundreds on the Brifters but I can't find any that are an 'affordable' price. Any suggestions?

KneesUp

Guru
I have 8 speed Shimano shifters which were secondhand (there is nothing to go wrong) off eBay - I think they were about £30. You don't need to worry if they are marked as for a triple or a double, the front shifting friction only (on mine, at least) and works best that way as you can trim the setting as you move through the gears at the back. This is ideal for me as my rear hanger is (still) not quite straight ...

Top Bottom