Can you convert a 26" MTB to a retro drop handlebar tourer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
We're currently looking for frames: I found a nice lugged steel frame with the attachments we need and am unfortunate 1990's colour combination, but the cables un along the top bar meaning we need to get brifters. As the bike will cost about €140 I don't really want to spend hundreds on the Brifters but I can't find any that are an 'affordable' price. Any suggestions?
Can i ask why the cables running along the top tube mean you need brifters? surely you can just loop the cable from the shifter to the cable stops ?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
If your after bar end shifters, there's a few on Kleinanzeigan. Heres one pair that caught my eye, a little scruffy but only €45. They all seem to be about €50. Doubt you'll find a second hand set much cheaper.

12boy

Guru
Have you considered moustache bars? They look nice, can run bar end shifters and get your hands further back than drop bars, thereby making up for the longer top tube. They are wider than drops and offer at least as many hand positions as drop bars. Another option are flipped alloy North Road bars which will also compensate for the long top tube , if your son`s build is such he feels too stretched out on the drops. I`'ve seen some gorgeous scorcher with flipped alloy North Roads.

Top Bottom