Do you do track stands at stops?

• Frequently

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Infrequently

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Never

Votes: 43 61.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
As long as there is a bit of camber on the road I always do it, and can do it for minutes at time on anything up to 4 pints, after which it all gets a bit wobbly so I don't do it then. If its mastered its cool as hell, but a wobbly one looks weak.

One of my cycling mates always shouts out 'trackstand w**ker' when I do it when we're together, but he's can't do it and is just jealous.

Jody

Stubborn git
I can't track stand for as long these days but still long enough for the traffic lights to cycle. Although soft, low pressure, knobbly tyres don't lend them selves to the task when on tarmac

Went out on a group ride in the peaks a couple of months ago and one of the party, a young lady about early 20's did a very impressive track stand. No handed for a good couple of minutes plus.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not something I can do. Like roller skating, skipping, juggling, pulling wheelies and playing the banjo ... I leave that to the cool kids.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I struggle to keep the thing upright at 2mph. No chance if it ain't moving.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Only time I'll do one is if when waiting for cars to move off at lights or roundabout. Anything longer than a couple of seconds and I unclip and put feet down.

Reactions: 2IT
OP
OP
2IT

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
I track stand at lights if I think they will be red up to 45 seconds ish. Anything longer and I think the effort outweighs the benefit. I actually find it faster to get away whilst track standing, but that could just be that I am concentrating more.

I am crap at rolling a joint even with a mat and king size rizla, so would not attempt it full stop.

Like you I find it faster too.

Not mentioned is the fact that sometimes that clip in doesn't go smoothly and then one is awkwardly pedaling with one leg through the intersection.

OP
OP
2IT

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
I can't track stand for as long these days but still long enough for the traffic lights to cycle. Although soft, low pressure, knobbly tyres don't lend them selves to the task when on tarmac

Went out on a group ride in the peaks a couple of months ago and one of the party, a young lady about early 20's did a very impressive track stand. No handed for a good couple of minutes plus.

Pictures of her? Off the bike will do.

clockworksimon

Über Member
As stated above, doing a track stand saves the hassle of getting clipped back in, esp if getting ahead of the cars is important in town. It is possible to track stand without great fuss and spectacle whilst staying sat. If the stop is longer than say 20 secs I would unclip rather than stand and draw attention.

Riding slow used to be part of the cycling proficiency test (is it still?) and as stated earlier, the slow bicycle race used to be a primary school sports day event. I used to think it a bit of a joke until my Dad put me and my friends right. He used to be a motorbike trials rider. Getting into MTB in my 20s also helped greatly in improving balance skills even though I rarely go off road now.

Pacing approach to a junction and a short track stand are surely basic cycling skills worth practicing? It's also nice to feel quietly smug when all done smoothly!

Top Bottom