Do you do track stands at stops?

• Frequently

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Infrequently

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Never

Votes: 43 61.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I could track stand indefinitely back in the olden days - when I owned what, we used to call, a 'fixed' bicycle. I can track stand a penny farthing. No handed. I ciuld drink a can of Stella and make and then smoke an entire Jamaican cigarette without dabbing a toe. I'm more sensitive to accusations of showoffery these days. And I don't own a fixed.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If the stop is very brief, under 6.3 seconds, I might trackstand. Any longer and it's a foot down.
I don't see the point - all that added pressure, the leg tension and adjustment, and the praying not to fall over embarrassingly. Besides, I'm not very good at it.

GC

No, I never do it; which I hate with a burning passion, as I would love to do it. I have mastered moving exceedingly slowly though, in a bid to fool people that I could do it if I wanted to. Who uses a high gear and who uses a low, sitting or standing? Give me your tips, please ;)

snorri

Legendary Member
It used to be an important feature of an event at our annual school sports, but along came a new gym teacher who did not consider the slow cycle race to be a proper sports event and had it deleted from the itinerary, along with the obstacle race, before I was old enough to compete:sad:.

I could... make and then smoke an entire Jamaican cigarette without dabbing a toe

I'm indebted to you already for all the things I've learned from your posts on this forum, @mickle but it would be jolly decent if you could post a video tutorial of that sometime.
Mon.:okay:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I track stand at lights if I think they will be red up to 45 seconds ish. Anything longer and I think the effort outweighs the benefit. I actually find it faster to get away whilst track standing, but that could just be that I am concentrating more.

I am crap at rolling a joint even with a mat and king size rizla, so would not attempt it full stop.

Reactions: 2IT

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
When I arrive at a junction or lights... Anything when I may have to wait a short time I normally balance for a bit.... I don't think it's a track stand proper, but I usually don't put my feet down if it's a short time. It's just a challenge to myself, sometimes I do it, other times I decide to put my foot down if it looks as though it will be a long wait or if I'm moving off the spot.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have never snapped a chain. You must be one powerful rider or do your chains dry out?

I'd like to think it was all down to my power, however earlier in the ride one of my 'mates' ran into the back of me, he trashed his bike quite a bit, I thought I'd got away unscathed, but maybe not :blush:

Top Bottom