Can you fix the Brompton chain in the field?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
I have a six-speed and I notice the Brompton toolkit has a chain breaker. But it looks like if I remove a bad link the chain will be 1" shorter and I won't be able to get it back on the bike. There isn't enough slack in the tensioner. Am I wrong? Is there a clever trick I need to know about?

cheys03

Veteran
Often the chain breaker is for removing a broken link and fitting a quick-link to replace it if stuck when out for a ride. Hopefully the tensioner would accommodate the worst case loss of 2” of chain, but can’t think why you couldn’t swing the tensioner arm out of the way and stick to 1 sprocket at the back to get you home, if needed. Or carry a few spare links.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
So when I replace my chain I should save the master link from the old chain and carry it with me. Or at least ride with someone who does that :laugh:
Sounds like good advice,
Thanks

I've seen it a few times now, when folk talk of essential tools to carry, that they need a chain tool. I personally don't carry one, I think the chances of a chain issue are so slim it really is a non issue. If I were to sit down and think of all the things that 'might' break or possibly go wrong, I'd need to tow a trailer full of tools, with a complete spare bike strapped on top just in case :laugh:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I've seen it a few times now, when folk talk of essential tools to carry, that they need a chain tool. I personally don't carry one, I think the chances of a chain issue are so slim it really is a non issue. If I were to sit down and think of all the things that 'might' break or possibly go wrong, I'd need to tow a trailer full of tools, with a complete spare bike strapped on top just in case :laugh:
For the extra bit of weight a chain breaker, quick links and a couple of chain pins are worth carrying if you are touring. My toolkit is in a water bottle and I just move it from bike to bike with the right size tube.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I carry tools nearly always have done only ever used one spanner to adjust my saddle years back. Keep the bike mechanics in good order and they will go forever pretty much.

cheys03

Veteran
I think the chances of a chain issue are so slim it really is a non issue.
Just had a huge realisation reflecting on this. I’ve carried a chain tool ‘just in case’ for ~20 years, and used it just once!! Even that time it was a luxury rather than an essential - freeing up some stiff links after the chain fell off and was stuck under the rear tyre, locking the wheel…on a Brompton actually. But - I could have gotten home without it :smile:
Even if the chain were to snap (and didn’t jam somewhere) you can freewheel the bike down hills, scoot on flats and push uphill - you’re not completely immobile or dragging it.
The next least used tool in the bag - a spoke key, has had more use and that has saved me from dragging the bike home a few times.

I’ll leave the chain tool in, ‘just in case’ :blush:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Chains rarely "break" or fail suddenly - usually, a pin wiggles its way out. This should make a noise or get caught up in the chain tensioner, telling you it's time to push it back in with the chain tool.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I've had a chain snap in the field.

But it was on a loaded tandem, climbing a steep hill.

Yes, we fell off. But we were able to fix it (broken sideplate) with the chain tool we were carrying.

(There have been a couple of occasions when I've been able to get others' bikes working with a chain tool - because an ill-adjusted derailleur, with the help of a skill-free rider, tangles a chain and twists it out of shape requiring the removal of a couple of bent links, or because a chain's got jammed behind a screw-on freewheel and can only be freed by amputating a couple of links).

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
In those cases, you'd be SOL on a Brompton because the chain can't generally be shortened. Maybe a little on a 2-speed or 6-speed, as mentioned above.

Fixies and most singlespeed or hub geared bikes have the same problem, although these rarely break chains because the chainline should be perfectly straight, with no side loads.

cheys03

Veteran
Is there anything stopping you from removing the tensioner entirely (or just springing it out the way) on a 3 speed Brompton too and shortening the chain to get you home? I haven’t got the Brompton here to check, but from memory the tensioner takes up the very small slack from the rear suspension as it compresses/releases and the main job is to keep the chain on when it folds?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Unless the Brompton has a magic gear (unlikely), the chain will have to be pretty slack, and will keep falling off over bumps. The dropouts permit no tensioning at all.

12boy

Guru
I have a 58 and a 38 tooth chainrings on my Bromptie and it works fine. (Greasy finger shift). Missing a couple of links doesn't seem a big deal to me. I have never had my chain or the quick link fail, BTW.

Top Bottom