Can you fix the Brompton chain in the field?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bit of zip tie and the chain arranged to let you pedal and back pedal so the zip tie doesn't have to go round a sprocket. Easier than walking ?

Kell

Veteran
You should have a little tool to keep the chain together while fiddling to get it back together.

Like one of these things.

61E23mDBGeL._AC_SL1220_.jpg

Failing that, then don't wrap the chain around the chainring before you put it back together. Get the chain fixed first while it's loose - loop it over the pedal instead. Then fit it onto the chainring after.

(Just adding in that you obviously need to feed it onto the rear sprockets and through the chain pusher for this to work.)

Kell

Veteran
Also - I've snapped two chains in quite a short space of time.

One was on my old Dahon full size folder - I landed on the cross bar and broke my Coccyx. That still hurts to this day (10 years later).

The other was on my Brompton, no cross bar to hit, and I managed to stay on, but badly sprained my wrist.

Both times were due to me trying to extend the life of my chain. Very painful lesson learned.

Proper maintenance and regular checks for when to replace means you'll be unlikely to require a chain tool.

mitchibob

Über Member
Not snapped a Brommie chain yet, but I'm fairly good and cleaning and replacing as needed. However, I do carry an additional 8-speed master link, as they're only a couple of quid, in my tool-bag. Also, as I have switched chainring around a bit over the last year or so, think I currently have an additional link as don't think I shortened after switching back from 54T to 50T. However, each time I change the chain, I don't bother with the Brompton specific ones, so I get a bunch of spare links, plus have the spare quick link, when having to go back from the 44T to the 50T or 54T.

At least once though, when chaining from 54T to 44T on the road (legs were never going to cope with a Welsh mountain at that point on the 54T), I couldn't get the damn quick link to be quick, and didn't have master link pliers then, so just gave up and decided to see how it rode... it survived fine.

OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
I just replaced my original chain with a SRAM and took it for a test ride last night. It seems to me the original chain wore to .75 too quickly. I normally expect a chain to last 3000 miles but this one lasted less than 1000. Anyone else find this? Is it a cheap chain or the design?

mitchibob

Über Member
I normally get about 6000km out of a chain. You have to remember, it's pretty low and picks up a lot of crap. The original chains are SRAM these days I think, but they're not as nicely waxed... plus, they're exactly the right length, so you don't get any spare links. But I ride in all weathers, probably clean drivetrain every 200km or so.

Last edited:

mitchibob

Über Member
I wax my chains and they last a long time. The wax doesn't pick up grit. I bought myself a Park tools quick link tool and it is really nice.

London in winter can pick up a lot of crap fast! Was really happy I put that Park took quick link tool on my wishlist.... My sister had no idea why she was buying it for me for Xmas couple years ago, or why I was so thankful, but damn it's great!

Top Bottom