Can you play a musical instrument?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have played several musical instruments: guitar, flute, percussion, piano, singing and accordion. I was a very musical child (and my brother is a professional french horn player), but my musical career was cut short because I lost the use of my arms and hands in my late teens because of a congenital deformity. It was quite a bummer at the time because I was going to take a year out to get my LRAM performers diploma on the piano. It was quite a rare deformity so took five years to be diagnosed. Then I had the surgery, I went back to the piano and discovered I could still play it quite well. However it kind of fizzled out in my 30s, but now I play the accordion. Like Fnaar I can play about three tunes. One of them, however, is Captain Pugwash, which makes it all worthwhile...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Mine doesn't count really. I can "sort of" play piano/keyboard, by ear - I can't read a note of music, never got my head around it - and I can't use both hands either (that's what sequencers were invented for weren't they? :biggrin: ).

I just wondered if any of you play a musical instrument, and can you read music, or do you play by ear?

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

sounds familiar.

i had piano lessons at ten and ended up hating it, never got music reading at all.

later in life i bought a bass guitar, found i could play by ear, and bought a six string electric.

i was never great, but perhaps good considering i'd never had a lesson.

and i can knock out a one-fingered tune on mum's piano to this day, by ear…

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I play the Saxaphone (alto) and am having lessons.
I started with the Oboe as a kid and can just about find my way around most wind instruments. I can play some basic Pianio pieces too.
I can read music having been taught it as a Cathedral choirboy.

Playing music is a great therapy.

fimm

Veteran
Grade 6 piano, grade 8 clarinet here. So yes, I can read music! I tried to teach myself to play by ear when I got older but was never terribly good at it, especially on the piano. I was never any good, but I carried on playing well into adulthood. Have not touched either instrument for years now - except a few months ago when we had all the boxes down for some reason and I got my clarinet out and found that I could still play it, after a fashion... I think it would come back to me if I put in the time to practice.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My father was a drummer, he had a beautiful Gretch kit. (He onced played with Joe Brown). So naturally having a drum kit in the house as a child... one could not help but have a bash. I still like to have a bash now and again on one of my friends kit.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Electric Bass, but I've not gigged in over a year, and next year's plan being to migrate to the upright which seems a bit more dignified for someone my vintage.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Electric Bass, but I've not gigged in over a year, and next year's plan being to migrate to the upright which seems a bit more dignified for someone my vintage.

Dignified a la Lee Rocker... :becool:

Lee_Rocker-12822.jpg
lee_rocker_pic1.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

Dignified? In about 15 years of professional double bass playing I have never ever heard anyone associate the bass with dignity!:tongue:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My sister, who had the bedroom next door, said that when I gave up violin, aged 15, it was the best day of her life.

I strummed Bob Dylan, Beatles & Simon & Garfunkel songs for a few years, but I was never much good and I just fell out of the habit. I can still produce a good firm G-D-A on demand tho', which impresses my daughters no end. (They being so accustomed to regarding me as utterly talentless and incapable in every way.)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My father was a drummer, he had a beautiful Gretch kit. (He onced played with Joe Brown). So naturally having a drum kit in the house as a child... one could not help but have a bash. I still like to have a bash now and again on one of my friends kit.

How can you tell if the stage is level?

The drool comes out of both sides of the drummer's mouth.

MichaelM

Guru
Self taught bedroom guitarist, I manage to keep myself amused.

If I was more proficient on the p.c., I'd add a bit of reverb/take out the duff notes etc -this was the best of a couple of takes:

Beekman Blues

Top Bottom