Can you play a musical instrument?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
What has three legs and an peanut? A drum stool.

Although I'm an excellent lap drummer (if you know what I mean), sat at a drum kit I'm worse than useless, it's not quite that easy.

Norm

What has three legs and an peanut? A drum stool.
Surely you mean a "throne"? :tongue:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I went busking with a friend twice in the 80s... guitars, "Streets of London" , some other stuff I forget, and my own 'interpretations' of a Who song and a Jam song, plus a great song I wrote myself (someone once offered me a tenner for the 'rights' to it
smile.gif
).
I remember we made about £4.50 on each occasion.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
When I was at school I got grade 8 organ (no, not that one), and still play it in church once a month or so (oh, do stop it). Also grade 8 piano, and play for fun, and occasionally as the continuo player for a local amateur orchestra. Also grade 8 oboe (can you say "precocious brat"?) but lost my lip when I went to university and haven't played since.

I never did any exams in singing, but did a lot when I was at university, including a number of commercial recordings with the university choir. I briefly entertained fantasies of a professional singing career, but decided to earn real money instead. I still perform very occasionally.

I also never did any exams in the recorder, but still play fairly regularly. My claim to fame is that I sat next to Jonny Greenwood in the Abingdon Music Centre's advanced recorder consort in the 1980s.

I also have a lute and play occasionally but very badly indeed.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Electric bass, this year exclusively fretless- which I thought was going to be much trickier than it turned out to be. I have fret markers for those no bass in the monitors sort of moments.

Can't read.

I've been working with the same outfit for ages, I'll turn it in if we split up.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My children bought me a set of bongos one Christmas [just so they could ask, 'Is dad upstairs playing with his bongos?']
... and they have a tuning key!

brockers

Flute in school. Orchestras, Grade 8. All that Jazz. And took up classical geetar a few years ago cos I wanted to play Bach - his D minor Chaconne was the goal, but I soon realised you had to be reasonably accomplished to even attempt it. I was all about flamenco guitar for a couple of years too, but that sort of fizzled out when bicycles begin to occupy my thoughts.

I'd so totally love a drum kit now though!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I play trombone, and also thought I might make a living at it once up on a time. When other students were waiting tables and working in bars, I was a pit musician for a bit of extra cash. When I graduated (not in music) I got a proper job instead.

These days, though, I've come back to it and get paid to play now and again, or to teach.

I also play guitar, but haven't played that seriously for years now.

Top Bottom