Can you sing, or do you just hum a lot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I can't carry a tune in a bucket but it doesn't stop me singing away at home and amongst the nice people at work. Pals are more polite about my efforts than my adoring children.

There is a lost video of me dressed as Robin Hood complete with swinging sword singing Great Balls of Fire at a now long divorced pals wedding. Other than that, My performances are strictly live affairs.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'll be a huge singing star if a very rough version of punk ever comes into mainstream fashion.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am an opera fanatic even though I cannot sing in tune or on pitch. I restrict my singing to when I am alone in my car or miles from nowhere on my bike!
I have been caught out a couple of times, bursting into song out on the lonely tops only to discover a silent drafter on my wheel!

I embarrassed myself on my Yorkshire Dales forum ride from Settle. I was riding along with a CycleChat member who I had met for the first time that morning. We had just entered a little village and I saw that it was called Clapham. I turned to face the other rider, smiled, and burst into song ...

ColinJ: "I never thought it could happen, with me and a girl from Clapham, out on the windy common, that night I aint forgotten."

Other Rider, looking startled: "Sorry?"

CJ, cheerfully: "Squeeze!"

OR: "Huh?"

CJ, faltering: "Up the Junction?"

OR, now looking worried about riding with me: "Eh?"

CJ, going red, feeling foolish: "Never mind, you are probably too young to remember 70s chart hits!"

Last edited:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I still feel guilty for singing Christmas carols several years ago. The dog and I were out late. It was cold and we were both footsore with a long way to go. Having recited all the poems and soliloquies I could remember, I started singing (some might call it squalling) just to keep me going. Poor dog was so tired she couldn't object. The good thing about it being dark was that none of the residents of the houses we passed could see me to throw rocks and other projectiles.

Last edited:

400bhp

Guru
Doing something like that would give you loads of confidence in the future to engage with audiences (likely to improve your career prospects no end in a lot of white collar industries). Maybe one day.:cuppa:

Leaway2

Lycrist
I'm told (and I believe them :smile:) that I have a decent singing voice, but I have seldom (as an adult) 'performed' in public (was in choirs as a kid, busked a bit in my early 20s, sang some songs in a wine bar for cash in a 'one night only' band).

I've only ever done karaoke twice... the first time was in a packed bar in front of colleagues and others who would know me fairly well, and I did 2 songs... that night has gone down in history amongst those who were there...people still talk about it, 5 years later, and I'm still riding a cloud of kudos and admiration :becool:

The second was at my sister's 50th birthday bash... I did one song, I couldn't hear my own voice at all, I was booed off, and I'm told it was bloody awful :laugh:
You and Mrs Goodbody should get together and perrhaps you could produce a 7inch.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
You and Mrs Goodbody should get together and perrhaps you could produce a 7inch.
I was going suggest a duet with her, but she wants to shake her maracas in a group.

I have been caught out a couple of times, bursting into song out on the lonely tops only to discover a silent drafter on my wheel!

I embarrassed myself on my Yorkshire Dales forum ride from Settle. I was riding along with a CycleChat member who I had met for the first time that morning. We had just entered a little village and I saw that it was called Clapham. I turned to face the other rider, smiled, and burst into song ...

ColinJ: "I never thought it could happen, with me and a girl from Clapham, out on the windy common, that night I aint forgotten."

Other Rider, looking startled: "Sorry?"

CJ, cheerfully: "Squeeze!"

OR: "Huh?"

CJ, faltering: "Up the Junction?"

OR, now looking worried about riding with me: "Eh?"

CJ, going red, feeling foolish: "Never mind, you are probably too young to remember 70s chart hits!"

Don Snow was at school with/same time as, me - changed his name in '92 to John Savannah. http://www.jonnsavannah.com/index.html I don't have to sing to be embarassing on a bike though.:santa::snowball:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
When the kids were tiny I paid our even tinier mortgage by singing. Still sing in Church choirs and do the odd solo there, as well as occasional open mike and folk club stuff. But I'd rather play bass.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
That's me on the right:

Ipswich-Rose-and-Crown-5th-October-2008.jpg

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Make sure she knows it's about singing, not 'singeing'...otherwise that might raise a few eyebrows. Has she got an aria you could enter into with her? Or "Johnny B Goodbody" perhaps? Let's have some visuals!
She's twanged my banjo string on a few occasions

Top Bottom