Can you take your bike with you into shops?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

Are you allowed to take your bike with you inside shops with you such as Tesco, Starbucks, small caffees, shopping centres? Or do you have to leave it outside? I just don't like leaving my bike outside because Im scared of thieves stealing it, even though I do have a good lock.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Some you can, some you can't. I usually ask at the door if it's OK.

RoMeR

Über Member
Are you allowed to take your bike with you inside shops with you such as Tesco, Starbucks, small caffees, shopping centres? Or do you have to leave it outside? I just don't like leaving my bike outside because Im scared of thieves stealing it, even though I do have a good lock.
None of the places you mention will allow bikes inside, Tesco & shopping centres usually have a bike stand nearby. Make sure you have at least a Silver rated D lock and keep your fingers crossed, works for me, so far.

vickster

Legendary Member
Right now, I expect there’ll be less willingness to allow due to social distancing, one way etc. It was always variable
Assume you won’t be able to and Just carry a lock and lock somewhere obvious. I’ve never had any concerns about a D locked bike outside a shop for 15 minutes (indeed I often leave expensive bikes for an hour or more). Make sure it’s insured and your lock complies with the Ts & Cs

Drago

Legendary Member
Probelem is, ifnyou take it into a shop you have nothing to lock it to and staff can't guarantee theyll be able to babysit it for you. 2 decent locks of 2 different types, and secure it to something solid for as short a time as possible.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I take my folded Brompton into all the shops I go to.
Doesn’t have to be a Brompton, any folder will do :smile:. You can also take them on the tram or bus.

All uphill

Still rolling along
As above, only if it's a Brompton.

What bike do you have @Anonymous1502 ?

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve wheeled my bike into and around plenty of shops although I’d rather lock up. Most recently a milk purchase in Sainsburys local, grabbed milk, wheeled to self check out, paid, left.
There was another cyclist in there, astride the top bar, scooting the bike around, wtf. An adult male with a road bike, not a BMX yoof, what a muppet :crazy:

Also a corner shop to drop off / collect a parcel.

I’ve been refused entry in the past at a Little Waitrose, a Tesco petrol station and got told off at a Shell Little Waitrose. :ph34r:
I’ll only take bike in if for a matter of minutes, not a full shop!! So no need to lock up bike in shop

Brandane

Legendary Member
It all depends....
Don't leave a bike anywhere in Edinburgh without a good lock and several armed guards.
Leave it forever and a day on the Isle of Muck and you should be ok..

winjim

Smash the cistern
I once took my Brompton into a branch of Evans Cycles to be sniffily told "there's a bike rack outside".
Admittedly I hadn't folded it up first.
To be fair, the shop in question was having some refurbishment done so their workshop was closed. I only wanted to buy a tube and borrow a pump, so I fixed a flat outside the front of the shop.

Dwn

Brompton yes (half folded) but I've only taken my full sized bike into bike shops. I've never seen anyone in a supermarket with bike, and wouldn't do it myself.

Top Bottom