Can you take your bike with you into shops?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've posted before about my Sainsbury 'escapade' buying a bottle of Whisky first thing in a morning after a 12hr nightshift but here goes. It involved a 'security guard' chasing me to the far end of the shop where they keep the booze calling out 'hey' behind me but I had headphones on (no music but I still had em on my head) I got to the aisle with the spirits in, grabbed a bottle and carried on to the end of the aisle (with him in tepid pursuit) and then returned down the long walk to the checkout nearest the entrance that was 'manned' (well womaned actually) She'd scanned the bottle and I'd given her a £20 by the time he got there he said "You can't bring bikes in here" so I removed the headphones and replied "what" so he repeated himself by this time I'd got my change so I just said OK and left. I'll bet that was the most exercise he'd had in months, it was a big Sainsbury.

EDIT BTW it was 7:15 AM and there was virtually nobody else in the shop, I wouldn't do it on a Saturday afternoon when it was rammed full.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I've posted before about my Sainsbury 'escapade' buying a bottle of Whisky first thing in a morning after a 12hr nightshift but here goes. It involved a 'security guard' chasing me to the far end of the shop where they keep the booze calling out 'hey' behind me but I had headphones on (no music but I still had em on my head) I got to the aisle with the spirits in, grabbed a bottle and carried on to the end of the aisle (with him in tepid pursuit) and then returned down the long walk to the checkout nearest the entrance that was 'manned' (well womaned actually) She'd scanned the bottle and I'd given her a £20 by the time he got there he said "You can't bring bikes in here" so I removed the headphones and replied "what" so he repeated himself by this time I'd got my change so I just said OK and left. I'll bet that was the most exercise he'd had in months, it was a big Sainsbury.

EDIT BTW it was 7:15 AM and there was virtually nobody else in the shop, I wouldn't do it on a Saturday afternoon when it was rammed full.
Didn’t think you could buy booze that early?

vickster

Legendary Member
It's a bit of a ridiculous thing to try and do, unless there is some very specific reason
My reason is usually I need milk and don’t have a lock!

I’ve taken my bike into many a cafe but wouldn’t do now with Covid. Just because if the extra stress it may cause to staff (even though with SD, there’s more space often)

si_c

Guru
A couple of times on the way home from work I've stopped at a super market and asked the security guard if I could leave the bike inside as I didn't have a lock - I was usually only getting a couple of small things and they were fine with it.

Wouldn't wander around the shop generally though tbh, not without asking anyway.

vickster

Legendary Member
It would not be a physical possibility in our corner shop. The shelf spacing is cosy.
Corner shops seem to mostly have the counter by the door round here so parcel drop off / chocolate purchase is feasible.
They do have awkward heavy doors often though so can be hard to avoid chopping the bike in half or losing an arm :ohmy:

vickster

Legendary Member
They changed the law years ago same time as when they changed the 11 O'clock closing for pubs, brought it into line with the rest of the EU
Fair enough, I don't buy much booze and certainly not at that time!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Fair enough, I don't buy much booze and certainly not at that time!
Like I said I'd just finished a 12hr nightshift (last one of the week) and I passed the Sainsbury on the way home but saying that I worked nights for years and the best way for me to deal with it was flip the clock half a day, I had my evenings when I got home. went to bed around 11 to mid day then got up around 6 and went to work, so much better than getting home and going straight to bed then waking around 1 and having to sit around for 5hrs with nowt on the telly (I'm not into 'Kilroy Silk' and his cronies or watching 'Last Of The Summer Wine' re-runs) so I'd get home, make a coffee, pour out a glass. put some music on loud, roll a big one and chill for 3-4 hours before bed. :becool:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Apparently you can't take your car in the shop but that doesn't bother me. ^_^

Oh yes you can

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I never go shopping with my bike, I either walk there or take the car. Apparently you can't take your car in the shop but that doesn't bother me. ^_^
Tesco and others have opened "drive-through" supermarkets since 2010. They can't manage bike racks that you can't park an adult bike in securely, but they can manage that. :cursing:

Special shout out for Lakeland as the only store ever to tell me I couldn't take a folded bike into, not even bagged and in a trolley. Morons.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Tesco and others have opened "drive-through" supermarkets since 2010. They can't manage bike racks that you can't park an adult bike in securely, but they can manage that. :cursing:

Special shout out for Lakeland as the only store ever to tell me I couldn't take a folded bike into, not even bagged and in a trolley. Morons.
Not in North Wales they haven't and even if they had, I wouldn't be that lazy. :whistle: :okay:

alicat

Legendary Member
I put my Brompton in a shopping trolley if I go to a supermarket in high-risk areas. The only place they objected was a small Tesco. The security guard offered to look after it. I was nervous until I got back to it - what if he had had to chase a shoplifter?

Top Bottom