Can you take your bike with you into shops?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
it's got bugger all to do with this thread, but the concept of 'Tesco drive through' is a bit of a misnomer... order online and collect from the car park. It's not quite 'drive through', more, park-up.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It all depends....
Don't leave a bike anywhere in Edinburgh without a good lock and several armed guards.
Leave it forever and a day on the Isle of Muck and you should be ok..
Not necesarily. Some yachties are not above helping themselves. A rather nice old offertory plate was stolen from Canna Church a few years ago and rubber dinghies were fair game.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's a bit of a ridiculous thing to try and do, unless there is some very specific reason

It's a manifestation of the entitled cyclist syndrome, and it doesn't do anything to enhance the perception of cyclists amongst the general population. There could be a car park full of £70k Mercs and Range Rovers, whose owners accept that they have to stay outside, but you'll still get the one occasional muppet on an expensive road bike, who doesn't want to carry the weight of a lock with them, and who think they are a special case. Carry a lock, plan your shopping better, or just ride a cheap hack bike to the shops.

To avoid the plague ridden mobs I shop between 0700 and 0800. Very frustrating sometimes I cannot buy booze.

Maybe that's because us Englanders didn't vote for Kim Jong Sturgeon to run our government.... We get our booze cheaper than the Scots too, for the same reason.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It's a manifestation of the entitled cyclist syndrome, and it doesn't do anything to enhance the perception of cyclists amongst the general population. There could be a car park full of £70k Mercs and Range Rovers, whose owners accept that they have to stay outside, but you'll still get the one occasional muppet on an expensive road bike, who doesn't want to carry the weight of a lock with them, and who think they are a special case. Carry a lock, plan your shopping better, or just ride a cheap hack bike to the shops.

Maybe that's because us Englanders didn't vote for Kim Jong Sturgeon to run our government.... We get our booze cheaper than the Scots too, for the same reason.
At least she is competent at what she is doing even if you disagree with her politics. Unlike the clowns you have in charge who could not run a tap even if they knew what a tap was for.

straas

Matt
I don't think there was ever one in Llandudno.

There's a click&collect at the junction, bangor too.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Well you can hardly take a 3 tonne Range Rover up the aisles in Tesco :crazy:
Quite. And nor can you pick one up and throw it in the back of a van, or even just wheel one away following 5 seconds' application of a bolt cropper.

Bicycles are a heady mix of expensive, desirable, saleable and portable, rather like mobile phones, hence making them targets for theft. At least a phone is usually small enough to conceal and includes built-in anti-theft measures. If your bike gets nicked you can't just call your LBS and have them remotely disable it.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I imagine trying to take a bike, even a Brompton, into most shops would bring out the inner Stasi in any security officer.

rivers

How far can I go?
There is a Sainsbury's local close-ish to me that allows me to take my bike in. Tesco tend to complain. And the premiere close to my house lets me take my bike in.

We went to a DIY place in chicago where you could drive down the 'aisles'
I spent a few summers working in Ohio during my twenties. They have drive-thru liquor stores. Drive in, give your order, pay and get given your goods. It was brilliant

straas

Matt
I imagine trying to take a bike, even a Brompton, into most shops would bring out the inner Stasi in any security officer.

Never had any issues with the brompty.

I think the issue with full size bikes is that they're cumbersome and unstable. If you lean them somewhere they generally block something (display, fire door etc)

Trolleys and buggies etc don't tend to fall over when unmanned.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I tend to agree but then I wonder why? As pointed out up-thread, nobody bats an eyelid at a pram, buggy or shopping trolley which arguably take up the same footprint and are often piloted with little care. What harm is actually being done by a bicycle in a shop, other than being a bit unusual? Perhaps with pro-cycling measures underway there will come a time that there will be too many bicycles at a shop to allow it, but then presumably the measures that put more people on bikes will include appropriate security at your destination that make the perceived need to keep your bike with you redundant.

Top Bottom