Cannondale Synapse.....any CCs got one? any opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My lbs has recommended this as a very relaxed/comfy ride at good value. The carbon with 105s would be in the £1600 region.
Relaxed/comfy is most important to me........at my advance age :smile: and with a long term, permanent back problem.
Googled it and it has good reviews but I never really trust them to be impartial.
Any comments appreciated.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ask the LBS to set it up so you can have a proper testride :smile: is the giant not comfortable after a full fit?

£1600 for carbon 105 is premium price IMO especially for a big brand so they should pull out all the stops

Being a Cannondale, BB and cranks aren't shimano

outlash

also available in orange
If you've got a back problem and want a ride that's relaxed and comfy, why not go for a Steel frame that'll take larger tyres? Something like a Condor Fratello would fit the bill. 28 tyres and a Brooks. Job done.

rb58

Enigma
My Synapse is comfy. But not as comfy as my Enigma (titanium) or Thorn (steel). In fact, the Thorn (Mk3 Audax) is super comfy, but is a bit slower than the others, mostly because it is set up for winter.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Ask the LBS to set it up so you can have a proper testride :smile: is the giant not comfortable after a full fit?

£1600 for carbon 105 is premium price IMO especially for a big brand so they should pull out all the stops
Being a Cannondale, BB and cranks aren't shimano

As I have often stated :smile:......I am an old fart of 69. I damaged my back when I was 20. Cycling when younger was not a problem but as I get older I need all the help I can get. I am cycling 20/30 & 40 milers and (as I boasted).....did a 68 miler last year. I am going to try for the 100 this year and "thinking" of a change to help me. Hence my query.
The "fit" helped a great deal as, before it.....if I did 30 I couldn't get on it again for a week. Now I can do, say, 40 and do it again 4/5 days later.
A tip for you........don't ever get old :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I am already crocked with a sling in my shoulder and no chance of riding a bike for months

Only you will know if the bike is comfortable for you, hence suggesting having a proper test ride, couple of hours would be best

Do you work on your core, stretch muscles, do other exercise like swimming, pilates? Might help bike comfort more than spending £1600 on a new bike

avsd

Guru
get something that takes 28 size. I just squeezed some onto my commute bike and they make a massive difference on comfort.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
My synapse is an aluminium disc brake version . longest day in the saddle was about 19 hours with no major comfort problems.
be carefull on sizing. my previous bike was a 56 cm scott but I needed a 54 Synapse.
Pretty sure I could get 28 tyres on it if I wanted too but quite happy with 25 .

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
If you've got a back problem and want a ride that's relaxed and comfy, why not go for a Steel frame that'll take larger tyres? Something like a Condor Fratello would fit the bill. 28 tyres and a Brooks. Job done.

My Synapse is comfy. But not as comfy as my Enigma (titanium) or Thorn (steel). In fact, the Thorn (Mk3 Audax) is super comfy, but is a bit slower than the others, mostly because it is set up for winter.
Thanks.
I have looked into similar options. I am trying to get a "road bike" but with a position that suits my back i.e. its nothing to do with tyre width or frame etc........just the geometry.
Maybe what I want doesn't actually exist :smile:........I may have to settle for a flat bar road bike or a hybrid. But the Cannondale may just do it.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Definitely try before you buy is best advise. You may need to swap your stem to obtain best comfort, a stem angled upwards will achieve less of a drop between your saddle and bars therefore a more upright and comfortable riding position. Good look And let us know how you get on.
How tall are you and what size have you been looking at?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Definitely try before you buy is best advise. You may need to swap your stem to obtain best comfort, a stem angled upwards will achieve less of a drop between your saddle and bars therefore a more upright and comfortable riding position. Good look And let us know how you get on.
How tall are you and what size have you been looking at?
My present bike is a Giant Defy..............you cannot swap the stem..... Grhhhh.
I am 5' 7" which in "Giant" language is small.

Top Bottom