Cannondale Synapse.....any CCs got one? any opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
My present bike is a Giant Defy..............you cannot swap the stem..... Grhhhh.
I am 5' 7" which in "Giant" language is small.
Surely you can swap the stem for one with a greater angle on the defy?
Is it a more upright riding position that your back requires?
If you are looking at a synapse then as one of the previous posts suggests they tend to size longer in the top tube, I would try a 52cm.

Can you post a pic of the stem on your defy.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Defy and Synapse owner here and had a back operation last year. For me it is comfortable enough for 100 mile rides. TBH I find both bikes equally comfortable, tyre pressure plays a bigger part. There is certainly less road buzz from the Synapse though (the Defy is aluminium).

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.png
My present bike is a Giant Defy..............you cannot swap the stem..... Grhhhh.
I am 5' 7" which in "Giant" language is small.
I'm sure you can swap the stem with something like thishttp://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bhs-25-highrise-oversize-stem/

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Why not? Or do you mean the seat post?
No............the stem. TBH when I purchased it I wanted to get a longer/higher stem as it was a bit of a reach for me......but (and I cannot recall the technical details) it cannot be done.
I took it to my lbs the other day and he confirmed that.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Or the steerer extension will raise the bars if that's what you need .http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bhp-22-steerer-tube-extender/

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The head tube on the synapse will only be a cm or two higher than his defy. May not be enough to relax a bad back. With a raised stem or steerer extension he could gain maybe 4 or 5 cm in bar height.

Both look a bit agricultural but if it makes the difference between comfort and pain then got to be worth it.

outlash

also available in orange
Thanks.
I have looked into similar options. I am trying to get a "road bike" but with a position that suits my back i.e. its nothing to do with tyre width or frame etc........just the geometry.
Maybe what I want doesn't actually exist :smile:........I may have to settle for a flat bar road bike or a hybrid. But the Cannondale may just do it.

And the geometry of a lot of bikes like the Fratello are pretty upright, look at bikes aimed at the touring/audax crowd. They're built for comfort.

the snail

Guru
The head tube on the synapse will only be a cm or two higher than his defy. May not be enough to relax a bad back. With a raised stem or steerer extension he could gain maybe 4 or 5 cm in bar height.

Both look a bit agricultural but if it makes the difference between comfort and pain then got to be worth it.
+1 If you're having big problems with back pain, I'd be tempted to go for something with more steerer showing, so you can get the bars level with the saddle - you can always cut the steerer down later if you want. Better than messing around with extenders. I'd definitely look at getting a test ride before parting with that sort of dosh though.

Top Bottom