Cannondale Synapse.....any CCs got one? any opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
+1 If you're having big problems with back pain, I'd be tempted to go for something with more steerer showing, so you can get the bars level with the saddle - you can always cut the steerer down later if you want. Better than messing around with extenders. I'd definitely look at getting a test ride before parting with that sort of dosh though.

Something with a high front end works for me. The bars on my pave are almost level with the saddle even with a lot of seat post showing to account for my long legs :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Go to a Specialized dealer and get them to show you a Roubaix, which is superbly comfortable. The Specialized stem can be flipped to give you flat or about 20 degree rise and then there's a wedging shim inside it, which you reverse to give an even greater degree of adjustability. The change is easy; I generally rotate my shim to raise the bars a little on very long rides, which makes a big difference after a few hours in the saddle.

Here:

http://road.cc/content/review/4969-specialized-comp-road-stem

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Or the steerer extension will raise the bars if that's what you need .http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bhp-22-steerer-tube-extender/
The height is a problem but it is the "reach"more than anything. Apparently I cannot shorten the stem or bring the bars closer to me. I have experimented with moving the saddle closer but that meant raising the saddle in order to keep the leg extension......and it wasn't enough to noticeably improve things.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why can't you shorten the stem? Stems (including Specialized) come in a variety of lengths. Also rotating your bars back towards yourself will bring the brake hoods closer and effectively shorten the reach.

Kingy

My lbs has recommended this as a very relaxed/comfy ride at good value. The carbon with 105s would be in the £1600 region.
Relaxed/comfy is most important to me........at my advance age :smile: and with a long term, permanent back problem.
Googled it and it has good reviews but I never really trust them to be impartial.
Any comments appreciated.

Your LBS is quoting you RRP there I think for this year so should be able to shave that a bit if you do buy. I have the Carbon 105 Synapse (my summer bike) and the Alloy Tiagra Disc Synapse (winter/ commute bike). The Carbon 105 is noticably comfier to ride as the carbon soaks up the roadnoise/ bumps very well. I've taken shims out of the front to drop it, but if you leave those in it's very comfy to ride. (I left a couple in on the alloy bike to compare). I reviewed it here. The alloy review is also on that blog ... https://theangrybiker.wordpress.com/2015/12/09/canondale-synapse-carbon-105/

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The height is a problem but it is the "reach"more than anything. Apparently I cannot shorten the stem or bring the bars closer to me. I have experimented with moving the saddle closer but that meant raising the saddle in order to keep the leg extension......and it wasn't enough to noticeably improve things.
raising the bars will also shorten the reach .

vickster

Legendary Member
That's cheap but isn't it a lesser quality titanium, if there's such a thing?
Don't think so? Not that would make any difference to me anyhow

It's got older 105 (Which I would change anyhow) and is reduced by a third

vickster

Legendary Member
22lbs!! That's not lightweight. I know they offer a smooth ride but it's a lot for a mid to heavy wight bike wouldn't you say?
Nope, it's not a race bike. It's for audax and touring

Depends what you want really, thought you wanted plastic?
See Jowwys reply

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Nope, it's not a race bike. It's for audax and touring

Depends what you want really, thought you wanted plastic?
See Jowwys reply

Yes but you could buy an audax/tourer alloy for half that money. I've kind of given up on carbon. The fellow selling the Scott Solace has decided he's not selling it anymore and i had a go on another riders Rose two and a half grand carbon bike yesterday. It was ok but the frame felt like it was made out of eggshells. You know, one wrong tap and it cracks. I've got my eye on a Cube Peloton with Shimano 105. Like you pointed out, it's a nicer riding position than the Agree.

Top Bottom