Cannondale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BPCycler

Have only had Giants as an adult rider. But am serious considering Cannondale Quick Disc 1 Bike. From my research Cannondale sound like pretty reliable bikes. What has been your experience with them?

I'm torn between the Cannondale Quick Disc 1 and the Giant FastRoad CoMax 2.

If it has a BB30, stay away.

I've no experience of those models but Cannondale as a brand are one of the highest regarded main stream manufacturers out there.

I should.say - I own a C'dale CAAD10 road bike, (with converted BB), so do have a bias, but nevertheless you can't argue with their history and pedigree.

@Yellow Saddle makes a vaild point, but IMO the same applies to any press fit BB so it's not only Cannondale that affects.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BPCycler

BPCycler

Good on the BB. The edge is going to the Cannondale because of the groupset. Wish money was no object; I'd just buy one of each. :-/

Good on the BB. The edge is going to the Cannondale because of the groupset. Wish money was no object; I'd just buy one of each. :-/
If you Google about press fit BB problems you'll frighten yourself silly.

Yes press fit BB's are the answer to a problem that never existed, and yes Cannondale started the ball rolling with their BB30, but the early problems were down to a lack of grease in the bearings, (or so I was told), and I'm sure as others have taken up the press fit baton the durability must have improved.

The other issue with press fit BB's is their tolerances, (or lack thereof). Basically they seem to have a very small operating window in terms of silent running, and it only takes a tiny ingress of dirt, grit etc to start it grumbling. If your the D.I.Y. type then a quick strip, clean and grease usually solves this. It's a pain in the @rse granted, but the pros don't have to contend with it when their bikes are stripped and rebuilt almost daily do they?

Would I choose a press fit BB? No.

Would I let it dictate my choice of bike? Not necessarily. There are various simple conversion options available. I converted my early BB30 to Hollowtech II, and it's never caused me an ounce of mither since :okay:

If you like the bike and it fits, rides well and makes you smile, then fill your boots. If it's new it's under warranty anyway so don't worry about it :bicycle:

OP
OP
BPCycler

BPCycler

@vickster - I had looked at a few of their bikes that are comparable to the Giant and Cannondale I'm considering. I'd like to stick with a more established and proven brand. Whyte may be fine but they're pretty new and I don't know that much about them.

Drago

Legendary Member
Fortunately manufacturers are going back to external bearings like hollowtech II

That's like dumping the electric chair in favour of a firing squad.

Venod

Eh up
IMO Cannondale are very good at producing aluminium frames, I have had three and all have been good, 1 with Holiowtech BB, 2 with BB30, I have had any trouble with BB30 but I know a lot of people have, its a simple system and if looked after cleaned and regreased if needed it should be fine.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
@vickster - I had looked at a few of their bikes that are comparable to the Giant and Cannondale I'm considering. I'd like to stick with a more established and proven brand. Whyte may be fine but they're pretty new and I don't know that much about them.
Whyte have been around for years in the MTB world. Just because they're not a global brand, doesn't mean they don't make extremely good bikes. They've been around for 20 years or thereabouts.

Why not support a British company even though you're across the pond ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom