Can't be bothered to go cycling when it is cold outside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shnjmsn

Über Member
I'm ok in the cold, just layer up. I'm still in shorts but fear the tights are due anytime soon ! Cold fingers and toes all winter so already in big socks and winter gloves, and it's not even cold in Somerset yet ! I try to ride after work in the winter a few times a week but really get put off by wind and rain. Not so bothered if it starts raining when I'm out, in fact I quite enjoy it, it's just going out the back door when it's lobbing it down ! I'm 6 miles from a street light or a town so most of my winter riding is done on quiet lanes in mud with big lights on.........

The wind is the one that gets me, and it's always windy here......... Was going out tonight but it's blowing a hooley here on my hill and my motivation has left the building tonight ! :wacko:

Drago

Legendary Member
The worst thing about the really cold weather is not being able ride in a muscle vest and flash the guns at the female admirers. How would people know I'm doing a lat-spread pose if I'm all layered up? Such a waste.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The worst thing about the really cold weather is not being able ride in a muscle vest and flash the guns at the female admirers. How would people know I'm doing a lat-spread pose if I'm all layered up? Such a waste.

You need to use the latest in warm tech. Wrap your self in cling film and flex those buttocks as you ride.

Adam4868

Guru
Has it been cold yet ? Still shorts for me so far.Looking likely to bite the bullet and put the kneewarmers on soon ! I don't really mind the cold once your out.Just wind...I could cry in a headwind.Anything else is fair game.

Cold no problem, love the quiet crisp autumn and winter mornings. Rain I dont mind much either but I am not a fan of high winds... that I can do without.
If it aint raining it aint training

MntnMan62

Über Member
I'm definitely not a cold weather biking guy but this has been an amazingly warm fall so far. And riding in the fall is some of the best riding you'll have all year long. As for what to wear, while you may wear shorts and a short sleeve jersey or shirt in the summer, I make gradual changes depending on the temps. So as the temps come down into the low 70's I'll keep the shorts but wear a long sleeve jersey. As it gets into the 60's I'll add a short sleeve shirt under the long sleeve jersey and wear bike tights. I'll also go with full finger gloves instead of the short finger gloves. Then in the lower 60s I'll add a light jacket/windbreaker to help against the chill from the wind. I'll also start wearing a skull cap instead of just a headband. Then, honestly, I won't go out when the weather gets down near around 50. At that point, I'll just hop on the elliptical and get my cardio from that. I'm toying with the idea of starting trail running again. It's been many many years since I've run. But I think if I start out slowly and build up slowly it could have an awesome impact on my overall fitness. Hopefully my son will be into joining me. I could use some father/son bonding time.

Drago

Legendary Member
No cyclist is as hard as Japanese time trialler, Tetsuo Kanaka. On the 6th August 1945 he was getting up a good sweat and was at Nagasaki, 40 miles into his 100 mile training ride, when he noticed it was getting rather warm and the headwind became rather brisk. Undeterred, he hunkered down and powered on into the wind, like a real cyclist would. Several days later he was arriving home at Nagasaki after a brisk 150 mile jaunt to see his brother in the Imperial army, when the same thing occutred. Didn't stop him finishing his ride, and he never again complained about the weather putting him off going for a jolly. That said, 4 days later his hair fell out and he died, but he went to meet his maker a proud man, never having missed a ride.

Last edited:

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I dont have any interest in going far from home on the roads in winter. Road bike gets tucked away and I do recreational rides offroad on the commuter hybrid. Going for shorter rides allows you to add a bit more speed and warm up faster.

Lycra or trackters will keep you plenty warm enough as long as its above zero. I dont venture out any colder than that due to risk of slipping on ice.

gavgav

Guru
In the summer I would be out on my bike couple times a week. Now I can't be bothered to go out on my bike once a week. The cold weather is really off putting and I never know how to dress, while in the summer it would be cycling shorts and a short sleeve jersey. Does anyone else feel the same?

It depends what your definition of “cold” is. In my eyes it’s certainly not cold yet and I only truly call it cold when there is frost/ice on the ground, which makes it dangerous to ride. Wind and rain puts me off riding more than the temperature does.

The key to it is layers of clothing, including a good thermal/cold specific base layer, for me to get out.....and a good deal of forcing myself out! Always feel better for having been out.

Riding in the very cold is a problem for me because of the Reynaud's condition which really causes pain in my hands any temp below around 5°c. I've tried all sorts of gloves but the only sort of thing that really helps is normal gloves inside a pair of lobster claw gloves. They look awful and are a bit clumsy for braking and shifting but at least they keep me riding.

I won't go out too early in the cold mornings if there is a likelihood of ice on the roads or trails.

I bought a turbo trainer at the start of the first lockdown when there were fears over how much cycling would be possible, but those fears were unfounded and I only used it a couple of times. I've set it up in the shed and it will probably be used much more once the weather gets colder or snowy.

Top Bottom