Can't be bothered to go cycling when it is cold outside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
for me, as seasons change, I try to keep riding & make small adjustments as I go. this helps keep me from any one big change to attire. but it's got it's challenges. sometimes i'll head out for a remote ride (something far from home) & I won't know exactly what to wear. I may wind up bringing a bunch of stuff in the car, then when I get out & start setting up the bike I'll decide what to wear

View: https://i.imgur.com/99XX3XQ.jpg

last night featured shorts, but with a sweatshirt up top. also dug out my favorite thin glove liners

ACTP0428.JPG

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Some of the massive weekly mileages a few of you guys are racking up, week in week out, all year round regardless of the weather are seriously impressive and a bit daunting for us mere mortals. :notworthy:

Riding at this time of year is a state of mind and the cooler days can provide some of the best cycling of the year. You soon learn what keeps you warm at your level of exertion. All sane cyclists try to avoid riding in foul rain, it's just common sense, but if you can't avoid it and have no choice then getting something specifically for the job can change it from being down right miserable to not bad, or even ok.

How high up do you get on the bike - say in January?

[It made me shiver just watching Kelderman descend off the Stelvio wearing just one layer - end of October!]

There was snow here at 1250m 2wks back already, we live at 700mm so technically anything less is already down hill:laugh:

But honestly it's rare here that i ride above 1400m from the house, and in January the roads will be perfectly clear and easy to ride on, just maybe wet on occasions. If i pick the right time slot i can ride from 700m through the fog/clouds and into the sunlight where it's 5-8º warmer with the sun on your back, just chuffing freezing on the decent.

I froze my nuts off last week descending Le Suchet:

vickster

Legendary Member
Just pop a pair of Altura 'Winter Cruisers' over your normal cycling kit.

View attachment 557650
But @Anonymous1502 would probably be better off getting the ladies' ones (which don't have the silly ankle loops, at least not in the past) ;)

I genuinely don't mind going out when it's cold. It's wet and windy I'm not quite so keen on. Says she who cycles out in the fens where it's *always* windy... :crazy:

Although going out when it's not so warm does mean getting the clothing right. Often, I'm out at dusk at this time if year, because that's usually when I can squeeze a ride in, so tend I go out a bit overdressed. Reason for this is that out here, the temperature drops like a stone once the sun goes down, and there's nothing quite so miserable as being cold on a bike.

Best advice is layers, layers, layers... Just like an onion. :laugh: And keep the extremities (head, hands, feet) warm.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
i certainly ride more often in the summer due to longer daylight hours and warmer weather. I don't mind the cold so much but it is a no go in the rain, frost, snow, high winds, fog or when the sun is too low as cars can be blinded by it and rear end you. At the moment, I still manage to ride twice a week but shorter mileage than summer . Do whatever you feel comfortable with and don't take any risks.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I genuinely don't mind going out when it's cold. It's wet and windy I'm not quite so keen on. Says she who cycles out in the fens where it's *always* windy... :crazy:

Although going out when it's not so warm does mean getting the clothing right. Often, I'm out at dusk at this time if year, because that's usually when I can squeeze a ride in, so tend I go out a bit overdressed. Reason for this is that out here, the temperature drops like a stone once the sun goes down, and there's nothing quite so miserable as being cold on a bike.

Best advice is layers, layers, layers... Just like an onion. :laugh: And keep the extremities (head, hands, feet) warm.

But also to remember the point of layers is to add and remove them as your temperature dictates. Many think it’s just means wearing a load of layers and never removing any.

Top Bottom