Can't be bothered to go cycling when it is cold outside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But also to remember the point of layers is to add and remove them as your temperature dictates. Many think it’s just means wearing a load of layers and never removing any.

True, that. Does depend what time of day you ride though.

Because I go out mainly at dusk at this time of year, as I warm up, the environment cools down, so I always go out with what might seem too much clothing, but ends up being just right.

If I go out during the day, then yes, taking stuff off as things warm up is exactly what I do. :okay:

Me personally though, I'd much rather be too warm than too cold.

Cymro74

Layering also solves changes in temperature ascending the Welsh hills. Did a day ride last week where it was just slightly cold leaving home. By the time I reached the Rhigos I could see snow on Pen y Fan, and the wind chill was frightening. As I was prepared, I slipped on my shoe covers and jacket, pulled neck buff over head and I was much better.
Also I'm a recent convert to sporty base layers. They keep out wind and cold and wick away sweat before it chills.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Lycra or trackters will keep you plenty warm enough as long as its above zero. I dont venture out any colder than that due to risk of slipping on ice.

The risk of ice can be present even when the ambient air temp is above freezing. The ground temp is not necessarily the same, and can be lower, which means black ice can be there even if it isn't freezing. My rule of thumb is that if my hands feel cold when outside in still air without gloves, which happens below 4c, then I assume there is a risk of ice on the ground. I will wear gloves above that temp to reduce wind chill, but I find just being outside, if my hands feel cold then I know to be very careful of the surface.

screenman

Legendary Member
Since starting a cold water shower regime the cold weather holds less fear for me, I do not ride when it is icy unless off road though, luckily i can do that from my house.

Johnno260

Veteran
Due to a combination of weather and work I haven't ridden much since September, I'm expected to cover a work role at the New Jersey site, so I have been working until 8-10pm, I'm also expected to train the guys replacement and that persons located in India so I have been on VOIP calls from 7:30am in the morning.

I have told my boss something needs to give as I have zero time with kids at the moment, and it leaves me no time for leisure.

I have winter stuff all sorted I just need the time.

Drago

Legendary Member
Sunny day riding is all very warm and cosy and pleasant, but it's boring as hell. I love the challenge that the weather brings. Its man v nature, and while theres a breath left in my body nature will lose.

VeganWheels

I am trying to overcome my fair weather affliction.
I have my bike set up on my turbo trainer in the wife's poly tunnel during the week,but struggle to even make the walk up garden on dark wet evenings after work,more than once a week.
I've invested in some decent winter kit recently & am determined that I will ride every saturday/sunday or both days through the winter.
New jacket,thermal base layer ,glovers & bib trousers this winter, so zero excuses to be honest.
Lost count of the amount of times i've said to my good lady 'Nah,not going today,don't like getting my bike wet':blush:

With the right kit, it's perfectly doable. Layering, as others have said is key. Base layer, mid layer, and windproofed outers are a great combination. This morning I cycled to work in black trousers, tshirt, wool jumper, fleece AND a windproof rain coat. Toasty warm. Nice warm winter gloves. If it's extra chilly, add a buff or two to keep windchill from your neck (and face). I don't bother with a plastic pillow hats, so a wool beanie, possibly fleece lined depending how cold it gets always feels incredibly luxurious. If it's raining, a peaked cotton cap will keep the worst from your eyes. In snow and hail, a peaked cap under a beanie helps.

Last edited:
Get a dog, specially a Springer Spaniel, you haven't got a choice then.
Not a serious suggestion but it works for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom